EOY senior chief mcclain | Teen Ink

EOY senior chief mcclain

May 30, 2015
By dom.dimaio BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
dom.dimaio BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
every coin has two sides, like most people have two faces



4-27-15

Hi, my name is Dominic D, and I would like to make a nomination for the Educator of The Year award.  The Person I would like to nominate is my Naval Science Instructor, Senior Chief Petty Officer William McClain.  He is a Naval Science 1 and 2 instructor at Delaware Military Academy.  I believe he should receive this award because he has done a lot for his students and does anything he can to help them. 
Some of the different things he does to help us are amazing.  He’ll change a lesson plan to go slower or faster depending on if his students are grasping the concept of it, and will stay after if they are having trouble.  He allows us to help one another if we are struggling.  He always reminds us that we should ask questions, because usually if you don’t understand, neither does someone else.
He helps the struggling students especially by putting up extra credit to boost that person’s grade. Also by giving us tips on what and how to study.  When he assigns homework, he does it himself to determine if he has given us enough time to complete it and to see what questions are more difficult than others.  He does this so that if a person or group of people have trouble on the assignment he can still grade it fairly.  He makes the kids feel comfortable around him and feel like it’s a place where you can be yourself. 
He maintains a friendly, professional relationship with each of the student and jokes around with them, making them feel comfortable in class.  He has a zero bullying policy and makes sure that no one isn’t doing anything and being bored.  If you are sitting there doing nothing, he will assign something to do, but he leaves time for us to talk with our friends towards the end of class if we cover all that needed to get done that period.  If there is a problem with a student, whether it be grades or discipline or anything else, he pulls them aside before or after class so he doesn’t embarrass them in front of the class.  He also periodically checks up on his students to make sure everything is ok both in and out of school.
Senior Chief McClain is a very respectable person and an excellent teacher.  He does everything he can do to make sure his students succeed in school.  He is there for the students and their needs.  In my time at Delaware Military Academy, I have yet to hear anything negative about him, whether it be serious or a personal grievance.  He helps them reach their highest potential and succeed to what the students want.  This is why I believe that Senior Chief William McClain should win the Educator of the Year award.