My Educator of the Year Nominee | Teen Ink

My Educator of the Year Nominee

By Aaliyah Walton BRONZE, Federal Way, Washington
Aaliyah Walton BRONZE, Federal Way, Washington

I've never had any friends who truly love the meaning of reading until i came to a new school my 7th grade year and met Kaye Dorn, the Chief Leschi Librarian. I enjoy her company every single morning I come to the library. Almost every morning I take an Accererated Reader test on the computer. It brings me joy to see the light in her eyes when I show her I have finished yet another novel. Sadly, she tries so hard to show students that reading is magic and encourage them to read more and more, but teenagers in this era never read books anymore. that does not stop Mrs. Dorn because once a week she will give one whole grade something she named "Book Talk". This is when she chooses books to talk about to the grade of students 6-8. Firstly, we have to write down the title, author, and genre, or TAG, then she describes what he book is about then we write down three details about the story. i have always admired the fire inside Mrs. Dorn, but i am greatly saddened that she will be retiring at the end of this year. I want her to know that she did her job perfectly, and even if other middle schoolers don't care, I do and I will always remember how she taught me so much about the art of reading just by loving it.