Gordon Haney | Teen Ink

Gordon Haney

By Sarah Thibodeaux BRONZE, Humble, Texas
Sarah Thibodeaux BRONZE, Humble, Texas

In 2011, I met someone who made a huge difference in my life. In 2011, I met Mr. Gordon Haney. He was my band director of three years. Although he wasn't my primary band director in the 6th grade, he still gave his time and effort as if he was. Because I knew what type of person he was, I was excited to see what I had in store for my next years in band to come. It wasn’t hard to see that he actually cared about his students. He wasn’t the type that would have us cut around corners to get the job done. He would push us to the limit. He wanted us to strive for our goals. He was also the type of person that you could tell your problems to, and he would listen out of the kindness of his heart. He always seemed to have a smile on his face, and would be unsatisfied if you had a frown on yours. Not only was he good person, he was good at his job. Each and everyday, he would come to work to teach over 100 band students. On certain days of the week, he would also go to Eckert Intermediate to help the woodwind section. He was very supportive of both schools and bands. He would show up to concerts, competitions, and everything in between. Mr. Gordon Haney deserves this award for the simple fact that he isn’t self-centered. He cares about others a great deal.