Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By nickmakoski BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
nickmakoski BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Educator of The Year
(Schlitt)

People around the world get what they desire because they were motivated at a point in time. This is where the tables turn for me. Waking up every morning before 7 is rough enough when the only class that can grab my attention is Physics and Engineering.
Motivation is my weakness. Nothing else in this world can destroy a dream quicker than a person with no motive or direction in life. The sky's the limit but it all starts somewhere. With his responsibilities and knowledge in the wood’s room and his drive to educate students for the engineering field, this man can accomplish nearly anything.
Mr. Schlitt is my motivational speaker. Being the only teacher who knows of my creative and hands on interests, Mr. Schlitt goes above and beyond to carry forward these interests into my future. He’s not just your ordinary lecture teacher either. Everyday after lunch, my next block class is simply a question. I never know what type of activity or “child’s play” Mr. Schlitt or Mr. Zuercher will have in store for us.
Throughout my years of school, it has been my biggest struggle to pay attention in class. In my opinion, teachers do not think realistically. In this day of age, students minds are nearly kidnapped by their smart phones simply because the educator has not influenced his or her students. You won’t be seeing any devices in room 172 though. Whether it’s playing a small scale game of battleship, building survival shelters, or even riding the roller coasters at Six Flags, there is nothing that won’t capture the attention of a dozen or more students.
At the end of the day, I step into a room, relieved, stress-free, as if I were at home. The Wood’s room is what I look forward to stepping into every A day. Advanced wood’s wouldn't be the same without Mr. Schlitt because of his motivation to teach kids the art of wood-work. Schlitt allows me to bring out my creativity even when it comes to modifying a cabinet off of given directions. With the scarce sounds of wood kicking back by the miter, and the responsibility of twenty or so raging students, It seems as if Schlitt can take on anything.
Schlitt goes beyond his requirements everyday to help students progress on through the engineering or wood working field. I look forward to his class every day because Schlitt is the one teacher who understands my interests and makes sure that students understand lessons before continuing on. If it weren't for Mr. Schlitt, I would have already dropped Engineering Mechanics because of the overwhelming amount of work. But with his help and faith in me, I proceeded through class and thats when you know he’s done his job which makes Mr. Schlitt, educator of the year.