Lisa Muehlbauer | Teen Ink

Lisa Muehlbauer

By Netassia Nufer BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Netassia Nufer BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Lisa Muehlbauer

I spent a majority of my life more as a follower than a leader. I found myself sitting in the back of the room during class silently, and freezing whenever I had to speak in front of an audience. There were times when I wanted to show others I had the ability to lead, but I couldn’t seem to do it. Being an introvert had always been difficult to deal with. For one, I like to sing. I actually thought I was pretty good at it. No one knew; however, because I was too shy to put myself out there. My freshman year of high school had begun, and it was only going to get harder from there. Just when I thought all hope was lost, I met the lovely, spirited, and talented Lisa Muehlbauer.

When I say It’s a small world, there is not a single person who knew my family the way Lisa did. She went to school with my parents, and met my grandfather, who she joined a band with. My family went to one of their gigs at a local restaurant, and I will never forget the first time I saw her. Her eyes warmly welcomed me, her cheeks illuminated with a rosey red color, she had dark, tight curled hair like the springs of a brand new mattress, and her voice flowed in such a way; each note connecting to one another so perfectly, the whole world would stop what they’re doing just to listen. Everything about her was so inviting that I knew we would get along very well...until she asked me to sing a song for her.

Horrible posture, and fidgeting limbs are the ingredients for a poor performance. Needles bounced around in my stomach as I thought about all the flaws she would point out. Instead, she stood up from her chair and started...clapping. She liked it? She didn’t care about the mistakes I made. She wanted to know if I was willing to put myself out there. What she liked most is that I sang without hesitation. I didn’t opt out of the performance because I was scared, but because I wanted to sing for her. She decided to help me overcome my lack of respect for myself. And that’s when she offered to give me vocal lessons.

Upon arriving to my first lesson, Lisa immediately asked me what I wanted to be when I graduate high school. There were several things that I’ve considered going into after graduating: Singing, Endocrinology, Baking? Every week, she’d ask the same question, and I’d always have the same answer: Confident.

Ever since Lisa became my teacher, I’ve learned to improve my performance. I also learned to love my voice. I felt comfortable singing whenever she was around, so I felt motivated to sing at competitions. I’d still get nervous; thinking I would choke mid chorus. Then I remember the hard work and dedication we put in for this, and I wasn’t planning on quitting. Not just for me, but for Lisa. Because I didn’t quit at each competition, I maintained a superior rating; meaning that I was an advanced student. I’m still surprised that I’ve earned that title.

Nearing the end of my sophomore year, Lisa thought it was time for me to consider other possibilities rather than vocal competitions. She believed the Broadway Company, a musical theater group at Arrowhead High School, would be right up my alley. I see their shows often and immediately think the same thing right after seeing them: That looks like so much fun. Every time I’d see the company show off their talent on that stage, immediately  after I always felt inferior to them; thinking I wasn’t cut out for the group. Lisa kept assuring me I had as much talent, if not more, than the rest of the kids in Broadway Company. Despite knowing it would be a miracle if I got in, I decided to audition anyway.

One year later, I am dancing on stage and singing my heart out with the greatest people in the world, all thanks to Lisa Muehlbauer. If there is anything I’ve gained from having her by my side, it is truly a large amount of self-confidence, friendship, and loyalty. I believe the true definition of an educator is to help others learn about themselves and their potential. To sing well is one thing, but the courage to do it is on another level. I nominate Lisa Muehlbauer for educator of the year; for she has gifted me with something irreplaceable which will benefit me for the rest of my life. Thank you, Lisa. You gave me hope.