Mr. Lingenfelter | Teen Ink

Mr. Lingenfelter

February 6, 2015
By AndrewOluoch BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
AndrewOluoch BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Mr. Lingenfelter 
‘‘Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.’’ The first time I heard that quote was in 8th grade. At the time I did not know what exactly that was supposed to mean, now nearing the end of my high school years I know how important those words are. In the past few years I’ve seen how hanging around the wrong crowd for some has negatively impacted their lives and future.
The man who taught me not only about history but about values, responsibilities and many other things that helped shape me into who I am today was Mr. Robert Lingenfelter, Mr.L for short. Growing up with a single mother and my older sister I never really had any positive male role models to learn from or look up to. I always used to be shy and withdrawn from people around me as well, noticing this Mr.L put me as a lawyer in this court set up for his class which he used in one of his units. Putting me in this position drastically helped me gain confidence in front of others and also helped me make some new friends.
I couldn’t help but notice that Mr. L took a personal more interactive approach to teaching then most teachers I’ve had. There were fieldtrips, classroom court sessions fun projects and various other things of the sorts that made learning fun and easier. Another thing that sets Mr.L apart from other teachers was him treating his students not like little kids but as individuals with different goals and ideas which created a mutual respect among him and his students and improved the learning environment. I remember he would tell us a little about his hardships and difficulties that he’s been through that would leave you wondering how he’s still able to smile at the end of the day. He showed us that you can go through a lot in life but still be able to find happiness. Until this day you can ask alto of his former students some now out of collage about his class and you would get a positive answer and reaction. I believe Mr.L not only teaches you History but also shows you what the world has to offer. Unfortunately not everyone has the chance to experience Mr.l’s history class but for me it has made a big help in deciding who I want to be in the future.
One thing that struck a chord in me which I’ll always remember was when I was walking across the stage shaking my former teacher’s hands in a final goodbye with a firm handshake and look directly in the eye he said, “You can become anything you want in life and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”. Never before hearing this directed to me had it changed my perspective on what I am able to achieve in life. Last week on my birthday among the many Facebook messages wishing happy birthday was one from Mr. L. Seeing it reminded me there are limitless possibilities to what I can do in life. I can safely say Mr.L is one of the few men I aspire to be like.