Jamie Harper for Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Jamie Harper for Educator of the Year

By LardOssimsauce SILVER, Minnesota City, Minnesota
LardOssimsauce SILVER, Minnesota City, Minnesota

Jamie Harper for Educator of the Year.

The best teacher deserving educator of the year award would go to Jamie Harper, but before I continue to explain to you on why he deserves this title, let me tell you a little bit about him first.
Jamie Harper, or Harpsichord, as we like call him on occasion, is a teacher assistant at Riverway Learning Community, only much more. Jamie is also; an artist, musician, substitute teacher, community member of all of Winona, part time sasquatch, and an all around great person. I have a firm belief that a bad time with Jamie does not exist! Jamie is a guy who always seems to be in every event because he greatly wants to be a part of our small community in Winona. It’s always great to have him around, especially with his dog Banger.
He always seems to give this feeling of happiness and fun when he’s about, but also adding on to his general awesomeness. Jamie also plays the spoons and paints abstract art constantly on his off time. Much of his works can be found in various buildings around town, some of it has actually been on Album covers for famous bluegrass singers, like Charlie Parr.
Jamie, even when he’s scolding you, is always funny. All he has to do raise his finger and look at you. You’d feel ashamed, of course, for doing that certain bad thing, but you’d laugh as he looks at you with his, “Hey look” face. A squint in the eyes, a raising of the head, and a point of the finger will make you stop whatever you’re doing bad. Now that I’ve told you about his personality, I’ll tell you about why he deserves to have this award.
Jamie is a great teacher! Whether if he is filling in or just around to help us out individually. His work even extends to the outside, where he maintains the rules of our game, Wallball, or to make sure some of our younger kids don’t get into trouble. If they ever do cause a ruckus, be sure to expect his famous point to be in their direction.
Jamie, unfortunately, just recently had a problem with skin cancer on his nose, but, with a quick stay at the hospital and with a whole bunch of heartfelt cards, he quickly came back to us with nothing changed beside the band aid he keeps on his nose. It’s a great contribution what Jamie gives to us kids, also to the school, and to Winona as a whole! This is why I believe that Jamie is deserving of the educator of the year. Because without him, Riverway and all of Winona, would be very different.