Teacher of the Day - Everyday | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Day - Everyday

By TheBomb SILVER, Rushford, Minnesota
TheBomb SILVER, Rushford, Minnesota

“If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.”
― Isaac Asimov

I go to a great school, and I love all my teachers for all different reasons. But I do have to admire my math teacher, Leslie Lehnertz. I for one do not like math, and I think that opinion is shared by many of my classmates.
But Leslie has never given up on me, not even when I make an idiot out of myself. She can be tough on us sometimes, but it’s only because she wants us to succeed. She wants to see us pass her class so that we can get into a good college and find a bright future. And even though we don’t make it easy for her, she keeps going. She works hard. She’s worked hard her whole life, and always does her best to make sure that we understand what we’re doing. To me, that makes her better than any teacher who hands out milkshakes in class or tries to turn math into a game. Math can be hard, and Leslie knows this, but she still keeps us going anyway.
And Leslie, just in case you ever read this, I want you to know that I am truly grateful for everything you’ve done for me. I know I’m not your best student, and I can’t say I ever will be, but thank you anyway. You’re an amazing woman and teacher, and I am blessed to be your student. Thank you.