More Than a Teacher | Teen Ink

More Than a Teacher

During one of my dance classes in the summer of 2013, I noticed an unfamiliar short woman in the room. I wondered who she was and why she was helping one of my dance teachers run class. My dance teacher introduced us to a new instructor at the studio, Val Elazegui. At that time, I had no idea how big of an impact she would have on my life.
Once summer classes were over, fall classes were starting to begin, and I realized that Ms. Val was going to be teaching a majority of my classes. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about that, because I didn’t know what she was like and how she taught, but she immediately proved me wrong. When the very first class was over, I realized how incredible Ms. Val was. She would give constructive criticism to every single dancer in the room. She would give you corrections, and would show you how to fix them or what show what you were doing wrong. Every single one of her critiques has helped me strive to become a better dancer. She genuinely wanted everyone to become a better dancer. She would push each dancer to the best of their abilities through motivation and encouragement, and, of course, painful and challenging dance combos, stretches, and conditioning. Ms. Val not only works till late at night at the studio, but she also is the assistant coach for a drill team. Therefore, she starts her day early in the mornings. Though she must be exhausted by the end of the day, she has never once complained about being tired in class. She is also willing to stay a bit after class to run routines or just to help students. That to me is true dedication to her work. Mrs. Val’s invigoration has helped drive my desires of improving my skills as a dancer.
While Ms. Val is a dance teacher, she is also a mentor. She not only gives you helpful corrections relating to dance, but she also gives beneficial tips and advice on life. She told the class one time that you’re never going to get anywhere in life if you don’t try your best. There will be people who will judge you, but who cares because at least you are giving full effort. These kinds of inspirational talks are of the reasons why I admire Ms. Val. She also believes in me and has faith in me. There were times where I doubted myself and thought that I wasn’t good enough, and I was frustrated. Ms. Val’s encouragement have helped me feel better not only has a dancer, but as a person. She taught me to always keep pushing and striving for the best.
To say that I’m blessed to be able to have Ms. Val as a teacher is an understatement. I’ve learned a number of things over the year because of her. Her influence on me has motivated and inspired me. Ms. Val, who once was a stranger to me, has become a role model to me.

on Oct. 15 2014 at 12:24 pm
Bethany Bluel, Olathe, Kansas
Love this! I can tell Mrs. Val is an awesome dance teacher by your amazing writing!