Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Metalhead666 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Metalhead666 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Mr. Muhels

Grade school wasn’t my favorite time.  School wasn’t an easy thing for me to get through, but Mr. Muhels helped me with my homework when it was tough for me. I had a difficult time focusing in classes and this made it harder to understand what was going on in all of my classes.  Mr. Muhels was by my side every step of the way to help me get back on track.  He tutored me and guided me through the through the year.  I was able to pass all of my classes during my 7th and 8th grade years with the help of Mr. Muhels.

I have never been into a classroom like Mr. Muhels room!  He had old war artifacts decorating as well as things from when he was in the war. I believe he was in Vietnam, but he also had some stuff from World War ll.   He was so interesting and you couldn’t help but be fascinated at all of the war memorabilia he collected over the years.   Mr. Muhels was a study hall teacher and he would sometimes assist in other classrooms to help some of the students that he worked with. He was a teacher for seventh grade when I was in it, but then he moved to become an eighth grade teacher when I became an eighth grader.

He was more than a study hall teacher. He cared about all of the students he met. He was a mentor,  a role model, and a good listener.  No matter how busy he was, he always had time for his students. He could relate to the struggling students and encouraged them to do better. Every student listened to him and wanted to do better. He was passionate, approachable, and excited about helping all students.