Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By morganm32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
morganm32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Seventh grade: the weirdest, most awkward year of middle school. It was that fall that I first tried out for ABC, the youth Arrowhead Basketball Club. Walking into the massive and intimidating Arrowhead gymnasium was something that would make any confident seventh grader speechless. And the cherry on top was the fact that I was surrounded by talented and gifted girls who I was certain would wipe the court with my sorry self. It was then that I met Coach Carol. As tryouts concluded, and as she called my name off her roster as a member of the 2009-2010 A team, Coach distinguished herself as one of the most important and influential human beings to enter my life.
Coach Carol Busche is not your normal, everyday person. The woman, the myth, the legend, better known as CC, is someone I’m sure to remember for as long as I live. At first glance, one would see CC as a tough chick who doesn’t mess around. At least that’s what I thought when I stepped into the gym. Her rigid exterior and the way she eats, sleeps, and breathes for the game is nothing to mess around with; however, it’s what’s underneath the surface that will ensure someone’s instant falling in love with her.
Not only is Coach Carol a spectacular coach who knows the game of basketball, but she’s also a perfect example of an admirable person. The way she cared, and still continues to care (now even as I’m in my senior year of high school) is something I can only hope I take after as I grow older. 
I’ve been blessed to be treated as one of her own daughters, and I can think of no other person I’d wish to see as a mother figure than Coach Carol. She’s been the driving force behind so many wonderful friendships of mine, and I can wholeheartedly thank her for the priceless memories I’ve made with those friends. Although she lives for the game, CC taught her athletes there’s more to life than the sport, and in order to benefit and prosper, the way we carry ourselves and act towards others is what will matter in the long run.
She acquires the  qualities a person can only dream of obtaining. On the court, she’s a tenacious presence who fights until the last buzzer has gone off, and is the last person to hesitate speaking her mind. In the home, she’s a kind soul, always willing to listen, constantly interested in the new and exciting aspects of someone’s life. A perfect example? The tragedy of death, the suicide of a teammate’s mother, hit our team in the midst of our eigth grade season, and who other than CC was our rock, our shoulder to cry on before, after, and even in the middle of games.
Coach Carol will always have one of the friendliest faces that has the tendency to brighten the most dreariest of days. Whether it was after an exhilarating loss, or dealing with personal issues at school, there isn’t a person I can think of more willing to help subside the sting of what we might’ve been dealing with. In the basketball aspect of things,  I can perfectly picture her stance on the sideline as she witnessed her team flourish. With the loudest voice and most unbiased personality, Coach Carol easily resembles a thirsty minded child-wide eyed and open hearted.
Thank you, CC. Thank you for being a mother, friend, mentor, role model, and yourself. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.