Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By ArtistKNP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
ArtistKNP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

It was an odd feeling coming into the Learning Center and feeling a jolt of excitement. But that’s what happened when I saw one of my old teachers. Just coming into the Learning Center, I usually dreaded it--it was all about doing homework, or some more work. But Mrs. Doblick changed my mind, quickly.

The first time I met her, she walked swiftly into the room with long, dark brown hair with, very tan skin, and with high heels on, she seemed elegant.  Seeing how independent, powerful and determined she looked, I was afraid these next two years were going to be long. Right away, when she saw me and the other students she blurted out,”Hello, welcome to the Learning Center. I’m Mrs. Dlobik and I’m going to help you  guys out with anything you need.” After this day, it was just the beginning of a great two years.

She had  to work with a number of different students, yet Mrs. Dlobik always got to everyone and made sure they were getting the help and care they needed. Mrs. Dlobik always puts her students first before her own needs.  She made sure everyone's grades were good. Plus she would always try her best to help out any student with any subject. Even though, that subject might not have been her strongest.  Mrs. Dlobik was always willing to help out in any way possible. 

She always helped me with my Algebra and Biology homework, which I appreciated greatly. Not only did she put her students first, but-she also put her co-workers and family members before her own needs. I always heard her talking about buying gifts and spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren. Also Mrs. Dlobik would always like to set up parties for holidays such as Christmas and the same with Halloween, she would give gifts away like candy. I would say she was a festive kind of gal, someone who understands me and was able to get those around her into the festive mood. Every year for whatever holiday it was, I always helped her with putting up decorations and helped her prepare the parties for each of the holidays. It just made school a lot more enjoyable for me.

Being the determined lady she is, Mrs. Dlobik kept everyone on track, getting homework done, keeping good grades, and practicing their speeches. If I ever needed an opinion or some help, she would be there for me.  When math was getting more and more difficult, she got me a math tutor. It was the greatest gift I ever received from a teacher.  When I got my tutor, math became much easier and less stressful. Just one gift like that can change a lot. Mrs. Dlobik wanted  the best for me as well as her other students.
My grades in Math got increasingly better after that---bringing them all the way up to C’s.  Not only did she help me with my educational experience, but she also helped me with my self-confidence.  Being artististic,  I am hoping to become an illustrator, preferably a comic book artist. One day in my sophomore year, I asked her to listen to one my speeches about how important art was to me and other artists.  After I gave my speech to her, she told me, “Kaity, you can do anything you want with how determined you are.  I have faith that you’ll become the artist that you have always wanted to be.” After that day, that has been stuck in the back of my mind, knowing that someone actually believes in me and believes that I can become an artist.

After having the two years with Mrs. Dlobik and seeing her five times a week, she grew on me. Being the strong, loving, and caring lady she is, she gave me a lot more than an educational experience, she gave me a friend for life. The last day of my sophomore year was a tough one saying goodbye to such a wonderful  teacher, who was a mother figure, a friend, and a role model to me. Thank you, Mrs. Dlobik for everything you have done for me and believing in my dreams.