Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Lorrae98 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lorrae98 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

On my first day of school freshmen year, I walked into my third hour class to meet a booming voice saying, “Hello, students! Welcome to social studies!” This voice belonging to none other than Mrs. Casetta. Being in a new school was pretty frightening so the happy, smiling face of my new teacher was a welcome sight. From the moment the bell rang and Mrs. Casetta starting teaching, I knew I would never be bored in her class. She had a voice that carried through the classroom so no student would ever miss a word.

I was even more excited to find I would have Mrs. Casetta sophomore year for U.S. History too. From the intriguing discussions we had about the world, to the current and past news, and to the flocabulary videos we watched every Friday, I was finding myself more and more excited to learn about everything the subject had to offer. Though my favorite topic was world war 1, i had know about it but never really learned about it. For my final project of social studies, I had to pick a topic and write a paper about it I picked “The Ireland Troubles” which was not an easy to understand nor write a paper on, but Mrs. Casetta walked me through things i didn't understand and with her help I wrote the paper, presented it, and got an B on it. To you it might not seem that impressive, but for me getting a grade that good was not a common thing.

The more I learned about our countries history the more I wanted to explore it outside of the classroom. I felt like I was genuinely gaining knowledge. I was learning about things I would take home and tell my family. I was learning about how the people in this country have shaped it into what it is now. I learned about how the stock market is up and running today, but how it had crashed in 1929 or that Franklin D. Roosevelt was the last president to serve more than two terms.

Mrs. Casetta was a nice, fun, and enthusiastic teacher of whom I would be happy to have again. To me anyone who can strike and interest into the students about the subject and keep them wanting to learn more, is a true educator, and someone worthy of recognition. I had never had such an energetic, exciting, and friendly teacher.