My Educator Of the Year | Teen Ink

My Educator Of the Year

By Reid9 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Reid9 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

“What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.”
― Eckhart Tolle,

Educator Of the Year

I’m not easily inspired. I’ve never looked up to someone. Simply because i’m in my own mind trying to be the leader of my own thoughts , beliefs, and opinions. And it’s always been this way ,from kid on. i’ve never thought of another person as a role model or teacher. 
You’d have to be some sort of super-being in order for me to acknowledge you or listen to you. And it’s crazy how a therapist i’ve had for maybe not even two years now is that one person i actually take time to hear out and take in information from. every session is filled with introspective conversation and deep inner self awareness.
I walked into his office not wanting to open up because i assumed he was just like the rest; close-minded, typical, and stupid. But i was wrong, He’s very omniscient and insightful. And i admire that because i’m the same way.

Every wednesday was like my freedom day. I would get out of crap school where everyone ignores me then go to the most soothing environment full of good vibes, also known as the counseling building. Before every session Tom would offer me a coffee and we just sit and talk about life and how we can make it better. for ourselves and others. In that room  i feel all the weight being lifted and i feel energy flow through my fingertips, my calves and my feet.

Theres a source of comfort and calmness that flows through the room. He understands me and the changes i’ve been going through spiritually and mentally. And i can so very easily pick up on those vibes.  He actually gets it, he too is going through this journey of soul searching and finding peace with the inner being( being you). every conversation, he provides me with more and more information and helpful information that helps me completely understand myself more and relax.

But you see, what makes Tom an educator to me is that he inspires me to find peace with myself and accept the deepness of my thoughts.He encourages me that this way of thinking isn’t all bad, That actually some good comes out of it.  And im just a few steps ahead of most people when looking inward. He helped me to accept this feeling of alienation and have a better understanding of it and my own mind. In all of our appointments knowledge is divided and shared equally between the both of us, we help each other grow and see new perspective. 

An educator is someone who has a big impact on your life. someone who makes a crater not a dent. I feel weird writing this because i never had a person in life that has influenced me in any way. But just like me my therapist has a naturally beautiful mind and viewpoint on life, the world , and the universe.  And that’s why Tom is educator of the year. Because he’s sensear. He goes beyond his role as a therapist. he’s a friend. It’s easy to be a therapist and give out advice. But to give out your own personal insight and knowledge is by far more meaningful and useful.  especially for someone like me with the brain the size of a planet.
Thank you Tom.