John Hoch is One of A Kind | Teen Ink

John Hoch is One of A Kind

By Radtke BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Radtke BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Mr. Teacher. John. Coach. Hoch, is one of many nicknames I have for Mr. Hoch. Mr. Hoch is a teacher at Arrowhead High School in the Alternative Education program. He is a Special Education teacher. Mr. Hoch also is an assistant coach on Arrowhead’s Boy’s Basketball team. But Hoch is much more than a coach and teacher. He has a positive influence on everyone he meets.
Mr. Hoch has had an impact on me throughout high school. I came in as a freshman knowing no teachers. The first person who made an impact on me was Mr. Hoch. I met him at the first Arrowhead Boy’s Basketball practice of the year. It took awhile to get to know him, but ever since then, we have been friends.
The reason Mr. Hoch should win this award is because of the way he cares for his kids- both the kids he barely knows, and the ones he knows well. He lets them come into his room and play ping pong while he is preparing for the next period. Best of all, he lets me hang out with him during the day, and that shows how much he cares. Whenever we aren’t playing ping pong, Mr. Hoch helps me with my homework and it shows that he actually cares about me.
Mr. Hoch is more than a teacher to me. It is funny to think I actually think of him more as a friend than a teacher. Saying that shows how much he cares about his students. He always seems to push me as far as I can go when I’m doing anything. He is just the perfect type of teacher, because he actually cares. I know Mr. Hoch cares because of the way he acts with me. He asks how I’m doing, he asks if I’m having a good day, and whenever he sees me he makes an effort to go out of his way to say hello. Mr. Hoch is more than a teacher, he is a friend.
One way Mr. Hoch motivates me is when we workout after school everyday. In the beginning of January, I weighed 240lbs, and now in the middle of March, I am down to 220lbs. The main reason is because Mr. Hoch keeps pushing me through the workouts, telling me I can do one more than last time. Without Mr. Hoch, I’m not sure if I would be down all the weight. Mr. Hoch is an amazing motivator and most of all, he is just a good friend.
Mr. Hoch shows dedication to everything he does. He helps me get through the day and he helps other kids with more severe problems. Mr. Hoch is clearly more than a teacher. He is a friend.