Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 26, 2014
By hannahgarbo BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
hannahgarbo BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
― Michael Jordan


Educator of the Year
Mrs. Foxwell



What do you think when you hear Business? I think why do we even need this class? It’s really boring. But my perspective was completely turned around when I took the class. The first day of 6th grade when I walked into Mrs. Foxwell’s business class, my life was changed. She had a tremendous impact on my life that changed me into a whole new person and she had taught me many things that I will need later in life, so I am nominating her for Educator of the Year.

The very first thing I learned from Mrs. Foxwell was how much she enjoyed her job. Every day after lunch when I’d walk into her class, I’d see her at her desk with a big smile on her face greeting everyone who walked in. When she would start class she would already be doing productive things. She would also always make things fun so everyone would actually participate. Every lesson related to the real world, and she always told us it’s not going to be as easy as it seems so that’s why we are in here. I now look back on that and see how right she was. I see that it’s going to be tough getting a job once I’m out of college and how challenging it’s going to be finding the right one for me. She would always reassure us and tell everyone the famous Nike slogan, “just do it.” She would always encourage us to try something new every day. With her being so motivational since that first day, she became my favorite teacher because I knew she would never give up on me and she always had my back.

Another trait of being a good educator in my eyes is having a lot of background knowledge on the subject you are teaching. Personally, Mrs. Foxwell surely surpassed that standard. Every class she would start by telling us a story that pushed her past her associates in the business world. She would say that after she had gone to college and found a job, she finally realized how tough it was. But she worked hard to please her boss and she pushed herself to be the best she could be. During class, she would purposely give us tough questions to answer to make us think like adults. By doing that, she educated us in ways that we didn’t see. We might not have realized it then, but it will definitely come out in the future when we need it.

The thing I always admired about Mrs. Foxwell was how she treated all of us like family. She grew close to my heart over the years, and I hope I did in hers too. She formed a special bond with every single one of her students and that’s what made her so special. There is no way possible you could hate such a great teacher. She would always joke around with us and say how she wished we were her kids. I guess that’s what made everyone like her. She had such a welcoming environment and always helped us out when we needed it. You could see in her eyes that she loved every single one of us and her job too. If you were a stranger and walked into her class one day, you would see the passion and determination she has for teaching. She never stopped and gave us her best and we worked hard to make sure that we gave our best in return.

Looking back on my 3 years with Mrs. Foxwell, I realized she hadn’t only prepared me for high school and college, but for future jobs too. She inspired me to reach my goals and strive to be the best I could possibly be. Mrs. Foxwell has given me knowledge, confidence, friendship, and most of all, courage. I never realized until now how important business really is. But with a teacher like Mrs. Foxwell, I knew I was going to be successful. I will always respect her for everything she has done for me and I couldn’t thank her enough. She is one of the most influential people in my life because she expanded my horizons and pushed me and my classmates to be our best. Mrs. Foxwell has definitely put an impact on my life; I’ll never forget her for that which is why I’m nominating her for Educator of the Year.