An Inspirational Individual | Teen Ink

An Inspirational Individual

By Rycki BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Rycki BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Short and cute. Very fashionable. And that hair! Beautiful brown curls caressed her shoulders and kissed her freckled cheeks. Perfection. That is Ms. Miller. The young English teacher with that one freckle on her lip. She’s so pretty was the first thing that went through my mind. Little did I know, Ms. Miller and I would grow a wonderful friendship.

When I walked through the doors at Arrowhead High School, my very first day freshman year, I never would have suspected a teacher to shape my life. But Ms. Miller did. Even if she doesn’t think so. If I was asked to describe her in one word—compassionate. No matter the circumstance, she always kept a kind spirit towards all of her students. I’m not quite sure if she’s ever yelled in her life. This inspired me.

As time continued, I grew more and more comfortable with her—telling her all of my drama and gossip, which I’m sure seemed trivial and obnoxious. Who wants to hear a 15-year-old girl’s drama? I guess she did because we always ended up talking about her life too. I’ll always treasure the exchanging of chatter about boys and showing each other pictures. Her willingness to open up…Inspired me.

Being at Arrowhead results in a graduation of campuses from 10th to 11th grade…this meant I would no longer have the leisure to waltz into her room or cubicle at my contempt. Junior year passed and I missed her. This past summer, I was enjoying a gorgeous day out with the one whom stole my heart. While playing volleyball, I noticed a group of young girls. That looks like all of my teachers…? Thinking nothing of it I continued to giddily relish the time with my beloved. But the more I looked the more I knew…
“Hey, Rycki!” they exclaimed.
Me being somewhat of a “girly-girl”, I squealed with excitement and skittered across the sand to assemble in a group hug. Of course, Ms. Miller was there. It was a pre-bachelorette party for Ms. Brinkman, another one on my admire list. Talking with Ms. Miller again was marvelous. The women confessed to staring at Nick, my boyfriend, and I’s P.D.A and agreeing… We were the “Couple of the Century”. I didn’t complain or protest. We continued to gossip and rave about the upcoming wedding, took some pictures and said our goodbyes. That day will always be held close to my heart.

Now a senior, I still trek down to South Campus, walk upstairs and right into her classroom for chats. With college hurdling towards me, I asked if she would write me a letter of recommendation. She didn’t just write a letter… she wrote a story filled with love. It wasn’t fake words plastered to a piece of paper. It was meaningful. Thought out. And clearly exemplified the relationship we developed over the years. As I read her heart on the page, tears spilled over my eyes like glass droplets. Leaving for college in January is an excellent opportunity, but the more I thought, the more I concluded… these teachers have shaped my persona, who I am. Ms. Miller’s continual kindness, willingness, and loving heart…inspired me. Without her, I would not have become the woman I am today. She taught me to always give many second chances. To always try something new. Expand your knowledge and challenge what you can already do. To open your heart to everyone… and most importantly…to be myself. Her beauty on the outside reflects her inner beauty and that is a rare, yet important trait. Maria Miller is truly an inspirational individual.

My hope is that students realize that their teachers can impact their lives, if they let them. Keep an open mind as you encounter new situations and people; one may never know the impact that will be made.