Marty Nelson • Music • Arbor Creek Middle School This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Music. Some people have a passion for it. Some people teach it. And sometimes people totally live it. They have harmonies intertwined into their lifestyle, and they can hear every chord and instrument in a song.

Mr. Marty Nelson lives music.

He stands atop his short, gray podium and waves his arms like a maniac, but he lives music. He barks corrections at the trombone section and names concert pitches, but he lives music. He draws note names and curly, detailed clefs across the board, but he lives music. He adjusts our music stands and scolds when they're too low, but he lives music. He recites simple rhythms and demonstrates dynamics, but he lives music. He taps his baton on his stand and the tip breaks and flies off, but he lives music.

He shares it, teaches it, makes it, listens to it, corrects it, writes it, plays it, and most importantly, he loves it. Mr. Marty Nelson has been my band director for the past three years – the best three years of my life. I've hit many, many speed bumps, but entering the band hall always soothes the pain.

Recently, I found out that Mr. Nelson is retiring. I cried. Hard. My life goal? To be as amazing a band director as he has been. I've been changed. Yes, I've learned my scales, arpeggios, chords, and intervals. But what I've really learned is that you can't just like music. You can't just love it. You can't merely have a passion for it. You must live it.

Thank you so much, Mr. Nelson.

BandGeekAndProudThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 12:54 pm:
This makes my think of my own director. It was almost poetic. Excellent job.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 1:05 am :
Thanks for the feedback. (:

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm:
I'm coming to love your Mr. Nelson too, great narration,  I can totally relate to how amazing teachers like that are. You conveyed your meesage effectively, good job!

Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm :
Thank you so much for the feedback. (: I'm glad you enjoyed it!