Greatness of My Teacher | Teen Ink

Greatness of My Teacher

By SUNGHUNJUN BRONZE, SPENCER, Massachusetts
SUNGHUNJUN BRONZE, SPENCER, Massachusetts

Some people believe that great teachers have to love students, sincerely help students, and care for students. However, I personally think that the most essential thing that great teachers should have is intuitiveness to help students to discover their strengths and interests. Teachers teach their students not only many complex equations and vocabularies, but they need to lead their students to be productive in life, and well adjust in society.

When I was in middle school in Korea, I was not assiduous with my school work, and my grades were not that great. One day, I skipped school but got caught by my homeroom teacher. I did not like her because she caught me and told my mom that I had skipped the school. Therefore, I acted and talked rudely, and I told her that I wanted to leave the school and never come back to school anymore. She was a little bit shocked because she tried to make me study, and she was like my mom. My parents came to the school, and apologized about what happened. Eventually, I had to go to school but studied alone in an empty room. Another teacher, Mr. Lim, gave me hundreds of Chinese and English vocabularies. This was horrible punishment, because I had to memorize these and take a test everyday. I could not talk to my friends or meet my friends at the school. However, when I finished my tasks quickly, I could leave the school. Thus, I tried my best to leave the school earlier.
After a few months, Mr. Lim called my father and suggested to him that I study abroad, because he thought that I had a good memory for English vocabulary. Hence, my father asked me about studying in America, and I personally wanted to change my life because the past would be gone such as grades. Therefore, I decided to come here. Freshmen year was very tough for me because it was really hard for speaking, listening, and writing English. However, I eventually got better at those, and felt more comfortable. Right now, I do not regret what I decided. I changed my grades, and got accepted at Penn State University. Moreover, I now have some goals, and try to achieve them. If I were still in Korea and not studying, I would not have any goals or dreams to achieve.
My father and I always appreciated Mr. Lim who suggested I study abroad. He was very intuitive, and tried to lead his students to be successful. Some teachers might concentrate on only teaching their subjects, but great teachers need to find their students a talent or make the students feel accomplishment. Some complex equations might be helpful to live in our society, but developing ourselves and using our talents are what we really need. Great teachers have to be intuitive to find their students’ talents and help them to develop their ability to live productively in life.