Michael Williamson | Teen Ink

Michael Williamson

By Jessica Hitz GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jessica Hitz GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

As a witty, enthusiastic, and intelligent individual, Mr. Williamson has taught me not only about U.S. History, but also about Economics. He is the optimistic teacher who excites us for class each day, making us want to come to school. Walking into class, he greets us with a smile and hello, followed by a sip of his third Mountain Dew. He tells us life stories and, without a doubt, knows how to engage his students. There is not one day that goes by that I do not laugh in his class.

Mr. Williamson is so comfortable in his shoes and with what he does. It is like he has known all of us for years. His attitude and approach on his teaching career makes it easier for us to get comfortable in his classroom. He is often moving around the classroom, speaking in varying tones.
The way Mr. Williamson teaches is so unique; he is constantly using body language and hand gestures. It is rare to see a kid in his classroom sleeping or even doodling. When he is finished teaching his lesson for the day, every now and then, he has stories to share with us. I remember him telling us about working minimum wage at a movie theatre during high school. He also has shared with us his stories involving his college roommates, which consisted of five guys sharing three bedrooms. These stories, although hilarious, have taught us that life isn’t all about work, work, work, but also about living and having fun with life and having fun learning.

There is a silly side to Mr. Williamson, but also a determined side. If I have a question, he is quick to help and will continue to give more examples, which I can relate to, until I understand the material completely. His ability to make his students smile, laugh, and learn all at the same time is a true characteristic that should not go unnoticed.