The Best Teacher: Mr. Vento | Teen Ink

The Best Teacher: Mr. Vento

July 1, 2019
By 2fenske2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2fenske2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The whole time I was in North Shore middle school I wanted to have Mr. Vento for math class. My brothers had him and he knew our family. He would always talk to me when he would see me in the halls because he knew my brothers. “Hey Fenske. Whatcha been up to lately?” he would ask with the most positive energy. It would cheer me up every time he talked to me. He also remembered everything I told him. For example, one day he came up to me and asked how my new house was going, and for me that just shows that he really does care. When we got what classes we had, and I saw that I had him, I was so happy. This was really big because he motivated me to do really well in class.

Mr. Vento’s class was not like the normal classroom. He had his collection of bobbleheads and also posters of all of his favorite sports teams. It did not feel like I was in a classroom, and that really helps me when I was having trouble in his class. Everyday when he would come into class, he would tell us about what teams won, and he had a whole conversation on what teams were the best. The reason why he would talk about the sports teams, was because then the students’ mindsets would be very good, then he could start class and not have people complaining about being at school.

He was also very involved in school sports. He didn’t coach them, but I could always see him looking though the gym doors watching our games. For me, that is one of the nicest things, because he could just go home, but he stayed and watched every game. This made me do better because then I knew that he cared, and I would need to do the same back to him and do well in his class.

Mr. Vento set me up for success, because he did not care how many questions he had to answer, he would not move on until he got a yes from the whole class. In other classes if I didn’t know something I would just try and get it myself, but in his class I did not have to hide, I could go up to him without hesitation and ask him whatever I needed. 

I remember my nickname was the asymptote, but I knew that he was joking around and that's why I liked him so much. The reason why he would give people nicknames was because then he could connect with his students even more than he already was connected to them. 

Another reason why I liked his class the most is because everyday I knew that math was going to be fun. A lot of students like teachers because they say they don't learn anything, but Mr. Vento was a really really good teacher. He made sure my future was going to be on track by putting me in the Algebra B, Geometry block class freshman year. When I got to high school, my math class was just right for me. It wasn't too hard and it wasn't too easy.

Mr. Vento reminded me of myself and I think that's why we got along so well. I knew that being in his class would be good for me because of how good of a teacher and person he is. I think all of my brothers think the same thing because we all had him, and when we would talk about him at home we only had good things to say.