EOY | Teen Ink

EOY

May 30, 2019
By delaneyschultz BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
delaneyschultz BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had an amazing teacher or coach? I have! Mr. Young is the fitness teacher and the swim coach at Delaware Military Academy. If I were to nominate someone as “Educator of the Year,” I would nominate him. There are so many things about Mr. Young that make him a wonderful teacher and coach. He has a great personality and always makes everything fun.

Mr. Young always has the biggest smile on his face when I walk past him in the hall. I say hey ever yday, and he gives me a fist bump. Mr. Young does this daily, and whether he realizes or not, it always makes me smile. I don’t smile often, but definitely smile every time I get a fist bump. He always seems to be in a good mood, and even if he isn’t, he doesn’t show it.

Mr. Young is the swim coach at DMA. I heard of him before I started high school because all of my club coaches talked about him, about how he was a great coach. Before the first practice, I was so nervous. I told Mr. Young i was uneasy about the season starting because it had been awhile since I last swam competitively. After the first couple of practices, he started to  really help me with technique. He told me that when he swam in college, he swam the same stroke as me. When it came time for swim meets to start, Mr. Young always motivated me. He believed I could do it all, even when I wasn’t confident in myself.

Lastly, Mr. Young always makes fitness fun. He writes on the whiteboard what the activity of the day will be. We play lots of different games in fitness. Sometimes, when we have open gym, Mr. Young and our civics teacher Mr. Walker will team up and play some of the kids in my class in basketball or pickleball. Seeing our teachers act like the rest of us do in fitness is a funny sight. When it comes to athletics and fitness, Mr. Young loves to see people with a competitive drive.

In conclusion, these are just some of the many reasons I nominate Mr. Young as Educator of the Year. Mr. Young has an amazing personality which lifts people’s mood. He is always helping people to do better by motivating them. Mr. Young shows concern for all of his athletes, in and out of season. Not only does he care about his athletes, but he cares about all his students. For all these reasons, I nominate Mr. Young for Educator of the Year.