Mrs. White for Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Mrs. White for Educator of the Year

By azajahgreen BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
azajahgreen BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

When I came to Delaware Military Academy, I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. The first day of school was September 4th, 2018, and it was my very first year of high school. As a freshman, I was very nervous about attending a military school. However, when I entered Mrs. White’s classroom, she greeted me with an amiable smile. Instantly, I knew we would have an amazing connection.

Mrs. White taught Spanish 1; she taught it very well. I have never understood a subject as well as I did Spanish. She continuously showed her love and passion for teaching more and more each day. It made me elated to come to school each day and learn something new. I never grew bored in her class, and my love for learning grew rapidly each day- thanks to Mrs. White.

Not only did I love her for her commendable teaching skills and style, but Mrs. White was also an amazing person in general. She was always real with her classes, telling us humorous stories of her high school years, and she always helped where help was needed, whether it was in or out of school. Mrs. White was always herself around us, and I was always ecstatic to be around her.

It took me by surprise when I discovered Mrs. White had been carrying a child since the first day of school, and I understand that’s not an easy task to accomplish. Mrs. White is so strong! She wakes up each morning and is automatically on her daily grind, making sure she tends to her kids’ (both biological and school-related) every need, all while bearing the burden of pregnancy.

So when it comes to choosing an Educator of the Year, I believe Mrs. White most definitely fits that position. She’s an amazing woman, teacher, and mother. She’s helped me through tough times, and she’s beyond an exceptional individual. Mrs. White’s an influencer as well as my role model. If I could have her as my teacher again, without hesitation, doubt, or hindrance, I would. I pray Mrs. White will continue to be my mentor as I move forward throughout life because she’s a life changer!

My name’s Azajah Green. Currently, my english class has an assignment to nominate any teacher from any school to become Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year; I chose Mrs. White. She’s so amazing and you’ll read all about her! (It was honestly a tough competition between her and Mrs. Dick!)