Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

May 29, 2019
By stevenxiivv BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
stevenxiivv BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Educator of the Year             Steven Novack               

Coming to the Delaware Military Academy the first day I was frightened to begin in a brand new environment. Being in a new school I didn’t know many of the cadets or any of the staff. Walking into my first block class, I knew my civics teacher Mr. Walker was going to be a great teacher. Mr. Walker described himself ,and I realized that we had a lot in common.


In Room FH6, Mr. Walker taught CP Civics and Honor Civics. In his class, at first I was very confused because I had never had civics before, but Mr. Walker was always happy to help. Mr. Walker is respected by many of the cadets and staff because he is a great guy and a caring teacher willing to help you go beyond. He always asks if you understand a unit or if you need help.


Walking into his class the following week, I felt like I belonged in this school. Mr. Walker taught many units like: The Living Constitution, Roles of the President, and many more but everyone’s favorite was the debate league. The debate league was a group of 4 cadets either having a argument for or against a topic, but you only have a week to get all the info you can get. The way Mr. Walker taught was very interesting because he wanted to make learning easier. When we took quizzes, I did not do so well, but when it was time for a test, Mr. Walker helped me prepare. Mr. Walker taught me that if you get a bad grade, you cannot act yourself down; you must try harder.


In addition to teaching civics, Mr. walker coaches boys lacrosse. During his high school sports career, Mr. Walker wrestled and played lacrosse for Sallies. While wrestling he won a team state championship with sallies. But then Mr. Walker stuck with lacrosse and went to a Division 1 school to play lacrosse. Mr. Walker isn’t a normal teacher; he is a teacher that likes to do what other kids like to do.


Throughout my two marking periods with him, he already made my high school experience a better one. He is a great person, and he always wants me to succeed. Now during PE class he always plays basketball against me. He never lets me down. I think many of us cadets will miss him and his class, especially his debate league. For those reasons and more I nominate him for Educator of the Year