Master Sargent Howie | Teen Ink

Master Sargent Howie

By owenmc22 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
owenmc22 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

According to the Department of Education website the requirements to be nominated for teacher of the year are simple.  The teacher must have taught continuously or intermittently for an accumulative period of three years or more in a Delaware public school previous to the date of such person’s nomination and be actively teaching in their district or charter school and continue to teach for the duration of the year of their nomination. However, the Educator of the Year should exceed these expectations. Being a teacher is so much more than showing up to school everyday.  A teacher should connect with their students, treat them fairly and also show them respect.

Master Sergeant Howie is that teacher for me.  As a Naval Science Instructor, for the past five years, his job is to teach his students to be good moral, members of society. Master Sergeant Howie was talked about in my house before I even stepped foot on campus. My older brother who recently graduated from Delaware Military Academy would come home with his friends and tell me stories about his class. These stories were part of the reasons I chose the Delaware Military Academy above all other local high schools.

A teacher deserving of Educator of the Year award needs to connect well with their students. This connection can be seen from the numerous stories my brother has told me as well as the current stories I have personally experienced. Master Sergeant Howie connects well with his class and can relate everyday experiences into his curriculum  making it easy to understand. His class is enjoyable and is something I look forward to everyday.

Master Sergeant Howie’s connections expand out of the classroom as well. He has left a great impression on my mother who first met him at meet the teacher night in September. Being able to connect with students makes good teachers, but connecting with their parents is what puts those teachers in the Educator of the Year ranking. My mother tells family members about Master Sergeant Howie’s introduction speech on respecting women. Seeing my mother enthusiastic about my education makes me feel proud of my choice in schools and glad about how I was lucky enough to have Master Sergeant Howie as my teacher.

A lot of teachers might qualify for Educator of the Year. But qualifying for the award is only the bare minimum. To win Educator of the Year, a teacher should be able to connect with their students and their families as well as make an impact on their student’s lives. Master Sergeant Howie has made a great impact on my short high school career, and I know he is a great candidate for Educator of the Year.