Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

May 29, 2019
By kaitlynhess BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
kaitlynhess BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am nominating a Educator of the Year to someone, I have known right before I went to high school. It was a tough decision but, I finally made up my mind. For this years educator of the year I have nominated MSGT Howie. MSGT Howie is a Naval Science teacher at Delaware Military Academy ( DMA ), but he isn’t an ordinary teacher, MSGT Howie was actually in the United States Marine Corps.

MSGT Howie was one of the first teachers I knew I would have right before I attended  DMA.  I first met MSGT Howie at his daughters dance studio where I used to dance at. When I met him he was a very nice person, and tall person, at first I thought he was a professional basketball player due to his height. But when I went to DMA for bootcamp I saw MSGT Howie there , I then realized he was actually one of the Naval Science Instructors. I was so excited when I found out I had MSGT Howie because I heard he was a very interesting teacher. 

As we got more into the school year, every conversation big or small, my respect and dignity for MSGT grew more and more each time we talked. In Naval Science MSGT teaches us a lot about the fundamentals of being in any branch of military such as drugs / alcohol, first aid, navigation, self defense, how to be successful in a job interview, and so much more. But most importantly MSGT he is like another father figure to me, we talk about what to do or say when you are on your first date, how to choose the right boy or girl, etc. But most of the time when MSGT teaches us, all his advice and lectures are all going to help us be successful people when we leave high school and go to college, or even go into the military. 


DMA is a school well known for their academics but most importantly their sports team.  MSGT is very strict on physical fitness because he wants us to be very fit so that when we play our sports he wants us to win , he doesn’t like to hear us lose. For example, I do track and field so I always tell MSGT how I do after every meet so that he can give me some feed back, and advice to help me become a better runner when I run my next meet. Finally MSGT always make sure he comes out and supports one of our sports team, to cheer us on and give us some positive encouragement.


From being a timid person, to now having the excitement to talk to him, I could say I came a long way with MSGT Howie. It is easy being a teacher, but it's an another story to be someones role model in life, but he still makes it look easy. In my career of being a student I have not had many amazing teachers, who compare to MSGT Howie. He’s the one who changes the mood of the day from bad to good, he is the reason I like to come to school everyday,  and he deserves this award more than any other teachers out there. When I grow up I am going to make sure I do not forget the teacher who makes me smile and happy when I go into school every day.