Mrs. Dick, Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Mrs. Dick, Educator of the Year

May 29, 2019
By Caroline-graham BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Caroline-graham BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For many teachers, coming to school every day is just their job; they do it because they need a way to pay the bills. For many teachers, their job begins when they step foot in the building and ends the minute they leave. For many teachers, it’s easy to fall asleep at night, even knowing someone is failing their class. However, it is not like this for Mrs. Dick. Mrs. Dick is the ninth grade English teacher at the Delaware Military Academy. To her, teaching is more than just a profession; it’s a passion. That’s why it’s my pleasure to nominate her for Educator of the Year.


Mrs. Dick is not only an educator for the students at my school, but she is also a role model. She treats each one of us as her own. Mrs. Dick wants to see her students succeed and will do whatever it takes until we are satisfied. She stays after school for an hour and a half for tutoring three times per week. She goes so above and beyond in order to ensure her students fully understand the content, which is refreshing because many teachers want to slip by doing the bare minimum. Mrs. Dick is extremely dedicated to her students, and in return, her students are dedicated to her class.


In addition, Mrs. Dick has very high expectations for us. She knows we attend a great school and are capable of so much. When she notices a dip in a class average, she always brings it to our attention. She gives us advice on how we can improve on the next assessment and reinstills us with confidence and a positive attitude. She is also able to recognize that a bad grade we receive can also be a reflection that we need some more instruction time. Mrs. Dick asks us what we need to succeed, instead of just assuming what we need in order to do well.


Lastly, Mrs. Dick is just a genuinely bubbly person who is pleasant to be around. I have her class at 8:45 in the morning, and you would think she would be half asleep and groggy, but she is so fun and outgoing. Her attitude in the morning class makes it that much more enjoyable. She leads by example; because she is so cheery, the students are too. She radiates a positive and lighthearted outlook in everything we do. One of the reasons I believe she has such a great perspective is because she understands the role she plays in our lives. She realizes that sometimes people have bad days, but that it is her job to prevent that bad day from getting any worse, and maybe even improve it. Mrs. Dick recognizes she is more than just a teacher, she is also a motivator, mentor, and a confidante to every person that steps foot into her room.


Mrs. Dick goes so above and beyond what is expected of a typical teacher. Not only does she want her students to succeed, but she also wants them to thrive. She will do whatever it takes to get them to where they need to be. Additionally, she sets high expectations for us, realizing that we are capable of so much. Some students lack confidence, and she is the push they need to recognize they have so much potential. Mrs. Dick is a spritely person with a positive approach to every situation. This makes her an amazing advisor, whether your problem is related to school, or not. Mrs. Dick is beyond compare to any other teacher I know, therefore she deserves the Educator of the Year Award.