The Most Influential Teacher | Teen Ink

The Most Influential Teacher

April 5, 2019
By aesslin21 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
aesslin21 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was nine years old, transitioning from Iowa to Wisconsin. Starting my first day of 4th grade, I was far behind all of the other students. Two months behind. I was recently diagnosed with a rare form of immune system paralysis, GBS. I transformed from an ordinary kid to one in a wheelchair with little mobility. This was a major adjustment. I didn't know how I could catch back up in school. This was the toughest time of my life.


My parents wheeled me into my first day of 4th grade. Greeted with a warm welcome from classmates and a teacher with deep blue eyes and a beaming smile, Mrs. Siegman was quick to set me up in an easy access desk. I was still distraught at the time but knowing my teacher was there to support me was encouraging.


Mrs. Siegman took her personal time after school to come to my house and teach what I had missed. Week after week of me being bedridden, stuck at home, she would urge me to practice when I was feeling well. Her laugh was like a familiar song. The amount of enthusiasm she had while teaching brought joy to me. This was a key part to my motivation because I proved to her that I was making up some ground to catch up in school. Not only did Mrs. Siegman have a caring heart, she would push all her students to learn the fundamentals and that is what makes are such a wise teacher.


Mrs. Siegman shared a story with me and my family after she was done tutoring me for the day. She said, “I lost my grandson to leukemia three years ago. Your family has gone down a tough road and I will do everything in my power for you to succeed.” This was a touching moment to understand how she grew so close to me and my family.


Mrs. Siegman, you have helped me through the toughest time of my life. You took endless hours of your personal time to help me catch up in school. I learned so much not just from you as a wise teacher, but on a personal level as well.


At home joking around with you and my dad was always a delight. You helped me find the greatest joy in life, laughter. To this day I use sarcasm and enthusiasm to grab people's attention. I am going to UW Whitewater next year, without all of the skills that Mrs. Siegman taught me, this wouldn't of been possible.


With all we have gone through, I consider you family. Knowing Mrs. Siegman not only as a kind hearted teacher but on a personal level is why she stands out as the most influential teacher I have ever had. Thank you Mrs. Siegman for helping me through the toughest time of my life.