My Favorite Educator | Teen Ink

My Favorite Educator

April 5, 2019
By jml02 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
jml02 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I got through my first three weeks of freshmen year. I wanted to do a sport but wasn’t sure which one. I heard one of my friends talking about trying out for the dance team, so I signed up for tryouts. I arrived in the gym and it was filled with girls, levels of varsity dance to some who had never danced. We all made the team!

Right when I walked into the room I saw Mrs. Ebert with a smile. She was shorter maybe 5’3’’ with brunette hair and blonde highlights. As the season went on we drilled our dance and practiced for competitions. Sometimes this wouldn’t be the most fun but right when I walked in Mrs. Ebert smiled at me and asked “how was your day?” She was so positive it made you happy talking to her.

It wasn’t always easy on the team, it’s hard work and took time out of your day and weekends for when we had competitions. As the season ended I wasn’t sure I wanted to do dance next year. We had our last day, in a teachers room at Lake Country Lutheran, we get an award and Mrs. Ebert gave a speech ( I got best smile). I talked to her about how I was unsure if I wanted to do dance next year, her smile turned to a frown. She looked at me and said, “I love having you on the team and I really want you to do it next year.”

Hearing what she told me and thinking of the friends I made, I signed up for another year!

It was now sophomore year and the dance season was coming up. I couldn’t wait to see Mrs. Ebert again, really if it wasn’t for her I’m not sure I would have done it. As the season went on I got to know my team better as well as Mrs. Ebert. She was the most humble person I knew, as she gave up her nights to coach and teach us the routine. She was acceptable, approachable and available.

It was getting close to the end of sophomore year and for months I had thought about switching schools for junior year —I am a very indecisive person— so it took me a long time to decide.

Mrs. Ebert may not know it but she helped me through the transition. What I learned on the dance team wasn’t just about dance but how to make new friends and life skills I can use. Switching from a school of 350 to a school of 2,200 wasn’t easy, what I learned on the dance team helped me transition.

As I get closer to my senior year I remember what Mrs. Ebert taught me freshmen and sophomore year. Mrs. Ebert deserves this award. I have learned so much from her, she’s humble, encouraging, dependable and warm hearted. Mrs. Ebert, you have influenced me and every girl on that team to be a better person.