Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By writer5137 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
writer5137 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

My transition from North Shore Middle School to Arrowhead was nerve-wracking. I came from a familiar class of 200 students, to a place where I didn’t know many of the 1,000 students I saw in the halls. South campus (the building for freshman and sophomores) is a bit smaller than North campus (the building for juniors and seniors), though I struggled to gain the courage to feel comfortable in the school I would soon call my second home.

My attendance appalled, there's no doubt about that. When I received my first attendance letter (a warning sent home to acknowledge how much school I’ve missed), I refused to go to school the next day. I was utterly mortified.

But I couldn't have been more wrong. After I grew the courage to go to school, I was called down to Deputy Freyer's office first period. I could've sworn the beads of sweat gathering in my palms could fill a river. I slowly turned the corner into his coffee-scented office, bringing nothing with me but a beat-red face and some indescribable nerves.

“Come-on in, take a seat,” he said, as he noted the chair across from his desk. “Victoria…you have missed over 12 days of school, and the semester isn't even half-over yet.”

I knew it. I knew that today would be the day. Today would be the day I would get arrested!

Little did I know, I could not get arrested for missing 12 days of school. And, I should not jump to the worst-case scenario (one of the many things Deputy Freyer taught me in that encounter).

As the days went on, I noticed him more in the halls, perhaps this is because I finally attended school…regularly. I earned a nickname of troublemaker, which I’m pretty sure we all are...to him at least.

Three years later, with four additional attendance letters and countless encounters with Deputy Freyer, I picked up a few things; he needs his Birch and Banyan coffee, every morning. If he sees you roaming the halls during 4th hour College Strategies, he will give you a hard time. And if he notices you are having a bad day, he will do everything in his power to make it at least a little bit better. But more importantly,  he needs his troublemakers. Because of this, I can trust and rely on Deputy Freyer with whatever I am going through.

I once asked him if he had his own kids, quickly realizing his job (his fast-paced, demanding and formidable routine) allowed him to have 2,000 students he cares and nurtures like his own.  

Deputy Freyer not only protects my school and the students in it, but he also gives students a reason to look forward to the day. He gave me a reason to go to school (besides the obvious) when my 15 year-old self would have thrown a fit to stay in bed. A lesson to all: not all cops are scary—and you might find they are the most dependable and comforting people you can meet.

I have learned to appreciate his laugh through my four years of high school, a laugh that has made me feel like I belong. Through his determination, his willingness to help anyone who crosses his path, and his dependability in times of need, Deputy Freyer has left an impact on me that I will never forget.