Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By AlexMulock BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
AlexMulock BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My previous boss, Ryan Carriveau, more than just an influential educator, he’s a kind soul with a day-brightening smile. Ryan owns Merton Auto Body and does an astonishing job of doing so. He wouldn’t rush to teach you new things, he would stay there, by your side until he believed you could do it. For example, he was showing me how to detail the full interior of a client's vehicle, he showed me what he was doing on one side and I mirrored him on the other side.

Ryan is an overall great person to be around. His admirable, collective, electrifying, forgiving, honest, intelligent, trustworthy, and thoughtful personality makes a day’s shift of eight to five go by unbelievably fast.

What catches everybody’s attention about Ryan, is that he cares about his employee’s and clients well-being, not only at the shop but in everyday life. Every day at work as soon as we saw each other he’s start with “Good Morning Alex, how are you doing this morning?”

I’d always answer “Good, how are you doing?” to make a conversation.

He responded with honesty, sometimes with “Great, I can tell it’s going to be a great day already!” Which he was usually correct about. Then he often asks “How was your night?

I’d answer with honesty to show that I appreciate our conversation as well as him as a person. Sometimes answering with “It was one of those lazy nights.” Or “I could have definitely used more sleep.” Usually across those lines.

He was always interested and asked, “Are doing anything fun over the weekend?”

I told him what my plans were with the common response of “Hanging out with friends and telling him our plans” I loved our conversations and didn’t want them to end so I’d ask “Do you have anything going on this weekend?”  And I’ve learned his weekends are usually jam-packed with events.

His employees appreciate that he knows them on such a personal level. He cares so much that when it’s an employee’s birthday he treats everybody to lunch. It fills everyone’s hearts with gratitude that he shows his appreciation for us being there. It motivates everyone to keep impressing you and to stay working for such an influential boss we all hope we can be someday. Sometimes it doesn’t even have to be someone's birthday and either his wife would bring some of the best food I’ve ever tried and let us enjoy it together as co-workers in the break room. Sometimes Ryan's father, Mike, grills everyone food which is amazing.

Ryan has a beautiful family, a loving, caring, wife, along with three adorable children (two boys and one girl.) I wish I could have the life he lives one day in the future.

Ryan is the type of boss that when he doesn’t have anything to do he won't hesitate on making his way around the shop to check if anyone needs help. Usually, his employee’s are too proud (also ridiculously good at what they do, completing their work on schedule) that they’ll say their all good and everything’s going smoothly. But if somethings not going so smoothly he doesn’t get mad or frustrated at them, but picks up a tool and helps them out.

Ryan has done so much for me that it’s incredible, I have never known anyone so willing to do and help another human being with anything as much as he does.

Merton Auto Body means so much to Ryan and he’s proud of what his company has become (As he should be because it’s unbelievable how hard that man works for what he has.)

I had enjoyed every day of the three months I had been working there because it was only a summer job, but who knew you could build such a connection with what is like a family there at the shop. I dream about going back to reconnect and touch up with all the employees. But their so much more than just co-workers to me, they treated me so nicely, as if I was equal to them, they became friends, trustworthy, caring, and definitely hilarious friends.

Ryan Carriveau, I would like to thank you for hiring me as detail and clean-up from this previous summer. It’s an experience I will never forget. From upbeat memories to the comforting way I was told by Mike Sexton that I had made a mistake checking in the blue chargers front passenger's window. Yes, I do remember that because although that was an error on my part and only my part, you both influenced me to believe that you have to make an error to get better at what you do.

This may be the worst letter ever, but at least I’ve told you that school isn’t my stronghold. I just wanted to say thank you for everything you’ve done for me and with me, leaving me with memories, pending thoughts on my future, and who I wish to be like and I owe it all to you! Please tell everyone I say hi and thanks for all the great memories! I hope to return to the shop to help out as much as I can in the near future.

Educator of the Year.