Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

April 5, 2019
By ahsbroadwaygirl102101 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ahsbroadwaygirl102101 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Mr. Chaviano, or “Chavs,” is a kind-hearted, approachable, optimistic man. He co-teaches the Arrowhead Choirs and the Arrowhead Broadway Company. Chavs is so engaged in everything he does. He brings the passion that his students need to succeed.  

In middle school, I started to get into Musical Theater, but the teacher was not the best. Students would bully the teacher, and write her letters telling her how bad of a person she was, and she would cry for the remainder of class and we would never get anything done. She was not focused, therefore everyone else was not focused. I didn’t engage as much as I would have liked to. When I got to high school, everything changed. It  changed because of one amazing human being, Gustavo Chaviano.

This past February, the Broadway Company and I took a trip to Disney! It was fun experience I have ever had, and it was because of him. He made sure everyone was taken care of. He was the only teacher on this trip (since his co-worker was pregnant), so he worked hard to keep everyone in order, and gave them the chance to have fun. Chavs did more for us than I could ever think of.

Mr. Chaviano is a great person to talk to. One time, he helped me through a tough day, and he said “Hey..what’s on your mind? You need to talk?”

When he said those words to me, I knew right away he was going to be there or me until I graduated.  “People have been saying things that I am not a big fan of and it hurts me,” I proceeded to tell him.

“Serena, people are going to be there for you, and people are going to be saying things behind your back. You need to learn acceptance for yourself before others accept you.”

This has stayed with me since freshman year. Chavs is as tough as old boots. He is a strong person that can reflect his strength onto other people.

Chavs has said some words that have encouraged us, but about two weeks ago, he said, “I am proud. Proud of each and every one of you. You guys are amazing students and I am so grateful to be your teacher.” These words that left his mouth inspired me. He rarely says he is proud because he is a strong-willed teacher who doesn’t like to share emotions, but he did. It was amazing. And it inspired me so much.

That is why I am writing this essay. I never loved music more. He is proud to be our teacher. I am proud to be his student. My past experiences changed the way I looked at things, and when Chaviano is present, I feel different. I feel more engaged. He is truly an amazing teacher. Thank you Mr. C, from the bottom of my heart. I would not be doing what I love without you by my side every step of the way.


The author's comments:

This piece represents the strong, independent teacher I have to look up to.