Mr. Thomas | Teen Ink

Mr. Thomas

January 15, 2019
By hannahwatson26 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
hannahwatson26 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Good teachers make learning fun and creative, while also making you want to learn. I’ve had so many teachers that do this, but not like my teacher last year did. When you have a great teacher, you should be able to tell from the start. They do lots of things to impact their teaching, from the way they decorate their rooms, to their style of teaching. My teacher, Mr. Thomas, was definitely a favorite of all the students at Brandywine Springs.


His room was always decorated with posters, flags, and objects from the time periods we learned about. The atmosphere really set the mood for whatever we did. When ever we switched units, the decorations would change; almost every day there was something new to look at. There were old American flags and flags from other countries we learned about. There would always be props for activities we did, like when reading a script. There was always so many things to look at, and it did so much to aid our education, and peak our interest.


One of the best things about his class was that he always had us involved. We rarely ever opened our textbooks, we were always doing activities and participating. When we were acting out plays, or doing a colonial court session, there was always a box of costumes that made learning a lot more interesting. He always had something creative and interesting to captivate our attention. We did so many creative things that were different from other good teachers I had. We focused a lot on colonial times, and he even set up a three day trip to Williamsburg Virginia. We were always visiting cool places, touring sights, and getting to see what actual life was like back then. He most likely did the most that school year than any other teacher ever had at my school.


Mr. Thomas’ personality was also something that made him a likeable, and good teacher. He really knew his students, and he always wanted us to have fun. He actually cared for the students, and he was really focused on helping us to get better grades. He devoted so much time and effort to us. He wasn’t just a teacher to most students; he was kind of a friend. He was a fun person and wasn’t afraid to joke about topics. That's probably what led most kids to liking him; he was a fun and great teacher.


Mr. Thomas was really a great educator who made me want to learn, and made history one of my favorite subjects. He was definitely the best teacher I’ve ever had, and he was definitely a favorite of all the students. His style of teaching really helped the rest of the students have a good time, and get good grades. He devoted lots of time to our well-being, and did so much for us. For all these reasons I think he truly deserves an award, and that's why I’m nominating him for educator of the year.