Interview of Band RadioDriveBy | Teen Ink

Interview of Band RadioDriveBy

March 10, 2013
By madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
37 articles 0 photos 7 comments

This amazing band started in 2009, in Arizona, USA. Consists of 5 awesome guys who let us interview ‘em. Follow these guys on twitter. Check out there latest sampler “MMXIII”.

RadioDriveBy @RadioDriveBy
Adam Simons @adamsimons
Trent Clark @TrentRDB
David Glosser @davidglosserRDB
Austin Joseph Gavin @AustinRDB
Evan Yuen @evanyuen

1.
Tell us a little about yourself.
Trent Clark: My name is Trenton Clark, I am 20 years old and I am an Arizona native with a passion for art. My family has always been very musically and artistically inclined, so I guess you could say I've been around creativity my whole life. I started singing in bands when I was 14 years old when an old band-mate of mine discovered me singing in the shower and told me to join a band! Music is truly my passion, and I want to share my passions with the world around me. My biggest dream is to inspire others with music in the same way that music has inspired me.

Adam Simons: I have lived in Arizona my whole life. I grew up in Tucson and came to Phoenix for college. I have been playing guitar for almost ten years, and have been writing songs since middle school. After graduating college I’ll be pursuing music full time. It’s my dream to make music for a living and travel the world.

David Glosser: My name is David Glosser. I was born in Morristown, NJ. I'm the youngest of 3 in my family. I started playing guitar at age 17 and haven't been able to stop since.

Evan Yuen: My name is Evan Yuen. I was born July 8th in Englewood, New Jersey. Starting around the age of 7 until now, I’ve experimented with a lot of different instruments like piano, violin, clarinet, drums, bass, and guitar. RadioDriveBy is the only band I've ever been in. I enjoy cooking, traveling, hot showers, legos, and occasionally dancing for no reason =).

Austin Gavin: Hi, my name is Austin Joseph Gavin and I play drums for RadioDriveBy. I was born in Arizona in 1993. I started to play drums in the 4th grade so about 9 years. RadioDriveBy is the second band I was ever in and the first band I had ever started. RDB is my passion and I love being a part of it.

2.
How did you all meet and become a band?

Trent : Austin and myself had been friends during high-school, and began to start playing cover songs together and eventually writing music. We recruited Evan along with us and played a show together, and after that we realized that we all clicked really well! Adam and Dave came in to fill in on guitars a little bit further down the line, and from there we've just kept going! It's a great dynamic, and we are one big family.

3.
Why are you called Radio Driveby?
Austin: I was driving on one of the freeways here in Arizona and I was trying to think of a band name. I was listening to the song "Motorcycle Drive-By" by Third Eye Blind. At the time, I really loved that song, I still do! I was trying to think of all the things I loved and I was thinking, well I love music and I love this song. Somehow I thought of the name Radio Drive By but I wasn't happy with it being spaced out so I decided, lets’ create a word -- RadioDriveBy. That's kind of the idea with this band. We want to create something new and amazing.

4.
So, what its really like to be the members of fame club?
David: I definitely would not label us as famous but it really is incredible to have so many people support our music. It's an amazing feeling to have fans who support us in the one thing that we love doing most. I'll never take it for granted.

5.
Whats your music like? Do you guys write your own lyrics?
Trent: I don't really know how to explain our music. I guess in the most general terms, it's Alternative/Rock music. We are all trying to make sense of influences that aren't usually supposed to go together, but we find a way to make it work. As far as the lyrics go, we all write our own lyrics. I generally write the skeleton for a song lyrically or bounce ideas between Adam and I, and we all work together as a team to break them down, re-write, edit, and finish them (that is if we don't completely toss them). I personally try to write a lot from experiences in my life and new discoveries I've made for myself, as well as words of encouragement, sympathy, and positivity for any of our wonderful fans listening to our music.

6.
You have been sharing stage with many singers and bands. Who is your favorite?
Evan: Out of the many that we have played with, our shows with Forever the Sickest Kids, He is We, Anarbor, and This Century have all stuck out to me the most. We couldn't be more thankful for the opportunities we've been given thus far and for the people we've met.

7.
With whom would you like to collaborate?
Evan: A collaboration with all of these bands would be great. It's cool to see how collaborations work and how two different sides of artistry come together to create something. One of the tracks off of "MMXIII" entitled "Tied Up", we actually collaborated with the guys in Anarbor. That was one of the first collaborations we had done and it was a great and unforgettable experience. The song turned out incredible and we seriously can't wait for everyone to hear it!

8.
Who’s your musical icon and influence?
Adam: For me I take a lot of influence from John Mayer, Bob Dylan, Blink-182, and lately Bruno Mars.

9.
Do you guys always wanted to be singers?
Adam: I’ve wanted to play guitar and be in band since I was in 7th grade, and saw my friend playing his guitar. Singing came a ways after that, but the passion had always been there. It only grew bigger with time, and after joining this band.

10.
So, what’s your new album about?
RDB: Our new sampler isn't necessarily about one thing or another, but as far a general theme goes, I'd say that it's a reflection of our year since the release of "On Your Way", and a foreshadowing of what is to come from RadioDriveBy in 2013. The basic idea behind "MMXXIII" is that we are looking forward to making 2013 an amazing year for our fans, and an amazing year for RadioDriveBy. The songs compiled for "MMXIII" are songs about wanting to chase your dreams and saying "no" to routine, but they are also a lot of fun too, and I feel like they really showcase our wild side!

11.
What has been the best experience you have had so far as a band?
Austin: The best experience I have had while being in the band is a mixture of things. I have loved growing closer to everyone in the band. We all are seriously like brothers. That has been an amazing experience for me. To have friends that I can actually trust with everything. Also, the first tour we did was awesome. It was like taking a quick break from all the normal day stuff. We had worries but it was just like, do we have enough gas, when is load in, where do we sleep. That was so awesome & I cannot wait for it to happen again.

12.
Any message to the readers?
RDB: Thank you all so much for being a part of our RadioDriveBy family! We couldn’t do any of this without your support, and we hope you can help us keep this thing alive for many years to come. Love you all, and let’s make 2013 one to remember.


The author's comments:
The interview was one of the best thing which happened with me. Guys are sweet and were willing to open their hearts to me.Treated me with 2 autographs, I couldn't ask for more.