Actor/Singer Miranda Cosgrove | Teen Ink

Actor/Singer Miranda Cosgrove MAG

February 27, 2011
By pavlina GOLD, Port Orange, Florida
pavlina GOLD, Port Orange, Florida
15 articles 7 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition


Feeling a little nervous, I walked backstage with the tour manager to meet up with the teen who's probably the highest paid actress on TV. (Yes, it's common knowledge in the entertainment world that she makes three times as much as Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez combined). But my nerves disappeared the second I met Miranda Cosgrove, star of “iCarly.” Even though this 17-year-old is a world megastar, she acts like you and me. Really!

Pavlina: Staying grounded is important for kids, but really tough for celebrities. What's been the toughest to deal with regarding fame?

Miranda Cosgrove: When you're acting and singing all the time, and being on tour all the time, it can be difficult to finish your school work and keep up with your friends and all. What helps me the most is I'm really close to my parents, and my mom is on tour with me … and just being able to call my friends and know that I can tell them anything and having those people you really trust.

I read recently that you're nothing like your “iCarly” character. What three words would you use to describe yourself?

I think probably “determined,” I guess. It's funny – I just did this for college on my entrance exam. I can't remember which words I used. I think “determined” would be one because I've been in the entertainment business since I was pretty young, and I think when you're young you're trying to make a lot of decisions.

Another would probably be “dorky” because I'm always doing silly things. I've been doing Wii Dance on the [tour] bus. I'm not afraid to embarrass myself – which I do a lot. And probably “shy.” More when I first meet someone than when I get to know them. Then I come out more.

You were in “Despicable Me,” which is one of my favorite movies. What was it like doing a voice over?

It was my first time doing a voice over, and it was different. I thought it was going to be in a room with everybody, and we were going to go through the script or something. But everyone gets to do their parts alone, and I didn't even get to see what the movie was going to be like until the premiere. But I liked it. I felt like I could just watch, like anyone.

Tell us about your tour.

It's been really fun! I'm on my first tour on a bus going around the United States. There are bunks on the bus, and last night I stayed up until 3 a.m. drawing. We have been doing a lot of fun stuff like Wii and drawing and making up songs. It's like a sleepover all the time!

Your CD “Sparks Fly” has some great songs. Do you have a favorite?

I like a lot of them on tour and a lot of them live – but my favorites are “There Will Be Tears” and “Kissing You,” and my new song, “Dancing Crazy,” is a good party song.


The author's comments:
I talked to Miranda Cosgrove backstage before her performance in Tampa, Florida at the Tampa Theatre. It was great talking with her - she's fun, nice and really down to earth!