A Summer Love Triangle | Teen Ink

A Summer Love Triangle MAG

April 12, 2009
By LexiPreiser SILVER, Westport, Connecticut
LexiPreiser SILVER, Westport, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

It was July, the summer of 2007. Briny air clung to my skin as I stretched my towel out over the sand. The sun was hot but not uncomfortable. I reached into my beach bag, excited to have a free day at the beach. I pulled a tattered, mildew-scented paperback out of my bag and groaned. Maybe this wouldn’t be such a restful day after all.

My dad is a voracious reader, and for his fiftieth birthday I had created a private book club for the two of us. He is constantly traveling for business, so I thought it would be a great way to spend time together doing something we both love. The first book on our list was Charles Dickens’ David Copperfield. My vision had been lofty: we would read side by side in huge leather chairs and discuss interesting themes while sipping cappuccino and educating ourselves with great literature.

Dad had embraced my vision and plowed through the heavy tome with gusto. In fact, three months had passed since he finished the book, while I hadn’t gotten past the first three long, dull pages.

Surprised by how quickly the summer days were drifting by, I promised myself that July was the month of Dickens and Dickens alone. But the constant lure of the warm ocean and cool breezes left me with little time to settle into a good book. When I sunbathed with my friends, they would doze, flip through magazines, or read chick-lit beach books. There I was, the next towel over, trying to focus my sun-soaked eyes on the pages of Dickens’ magnificent yet exhausting prose. The margins were so small, the print so miniscule! As the days sweated along, I began to dread opening that torn and musty book resting reproachfully on my nightstand.

I had made some progress (page 20 of 805) when, on July twenty-first, just as I was dog-earing my page to grab some lunch, my mother called up that a package was waiting for me in the kitchen.

I double-checked the date before I allowed my heart to start racing. It was the twenty-first, to be sure – the date pre-ordered books had been promised. My hands began to shake with anticipation; every limb in my body trembled as I realized the long-awaited day had arrived. I flung poor David Copperfield to the foot of my bed and sprinted downstairs, each mad footstep screaming Harry’s name.

The shipping label stated to the world that he belonged to me. After I’d spent months dreaming of his arrival, Harry Potter, the seventh and final, was at last mine. Thoughts of young Copperfield and his foolish wife, Dora, were swept aside as my elated mind cleared room for incantations and potion recipes.

With excitement, I tore open the package, freeing Harry from his bonds. Cardboard shreds fell to the floor as I held the book for the first time. Its brand-new yellow cover shone like the blazing sun. Mine, all mine! I hugged the thick novel to my chest, welcoming Harry into my arms, welcoming him home.

Eating wasn’t necessary; I had a private date with Harry Potter planned for this evening. I carried him to my room and placed him on my pillow. I unconsciously put Copperfield in my nightstand drawer, hiding him in the darkness while I slowly opened the cover of my new treasure.

Harry smelled delicious. I think he was wearing my favorite cologne: new book. Not a hint of mildew in his beguiling aroma. Propping the book up on my knees, I dove into the magical world I had missed so dearly.

Hours passed me by unknowingly until it was three in the morning; I was the only one up in my house. I pulled my lamp closer so the room was black except for the halo of light surrounding Harry and me. Guilty thoughts of my abandoned David flickered across my mind as I turned the pages. I had never stayed up this late to be with him, never skipped dinner to enjoy David’s quiet company. I felt like I was in a whirlpool, being sucked deep into this addictive relationship with Harry.

A corner of my mind considered David, growing dusty in my drawer, alone and deserted. What would he think of me? I feared his judgment, his mute reproach. But wait, Harry had defeated Voldemort! He was going to beat him once and for all! My eyes swelled with proud tears and my throat tightened at the thought of my beloved grinning triumphantly over his fallen enemy.

Thoughts of Copperfield vanished as I realized that it was over, all over; the boy I had spent five years of my life obsessing and fantasizing over was now a grown man and married. The epilogue left me no room for interpretation; Harry was lost forever, bound to that red-haired brat. He was gone, ­escaping from my eager grasp as quickly as he had entered it. Rejection stabbed me like a Cruciatus Curse.

The next morning I was cranky. My scrambled eggs had a copper aftertaste, and I gave a nasty look to anyone who asked me to pass the orange juice. I felt dissatisfied not only by the mediocre eggs but by the way Harry Potter ended – and the realization that it had ended. I had let myself get so absorbed in this fantasy world that I couldn’t fathom a return to reality. Had the past 12 hours really ended? Could it be? Was Harry no longer a part of my life?

I couldn’t accept that I would never experience that tingling rush of excitement upon opening a just-released Potter book again. Never again would I smell the distinctive bouquet of freshly printed pages mixed with mystery and anticipation. Never again would my imagination be so thoroughly captivated that I could hardly eat or drink, let alone sleep.

My melancholy attitude persisted throughout the day. Lying on the blistering sand as my magical fling faded, my thoughts reverted to an earlier and perhaps deeper love. Dear old David Copperfield sat patiently in my canvas bag, awaiting my caress. The paperback felt flimsy in my hands, so used to Harry’s durable hard cover. The texture was not unwelcome, however, and I admired David’s classic appeal with a new appreciation. The novel fell open to where I had left off and, like a lost friend, he raced back into my life with undiminished fervor. With one last longing sigh for my lost Harry, I dove back into my relationship with David with renewed commitment.

As the humid July nights melted into cooler August ones, I nestled close to his fictional body. We sat together throughout the tiresome five-hour plane ride to California. His intelligent prose comforted me as I fought with my best friend. David aged, became a widower, and wrote a book as I made new friends, enjoyed the summer heat, and readied myself for the coming school year.

The dense pages began to loosen up as I learned to appreciate David’s wit and remarkable intellect. Where I had previously thought us so different, I began to see that we shared much. Throughout the time we spent together, he made me laugh, cry, and think. My eyes grew accustomed to the small print as I felt myself being drawn into an even more vivid world than Harry Potter’s.

My friends questioned the bulky novel I lugged around. Why wasn’t I reading the latest Gossip Girl? Could that thick text really be just for fun? No one could understand my relationship with Copperfield, nor could they identify with my desperate need to stay up all night with Potter.

I never mentioned to David my activities that night he spent in the drawer. The adulterous secret burned in my chest like a hot coal. But I decided that what David didn’t know couldn’t hurt him. As I lay awake one evening, shivering in the cool breeze from my window, I realized that few people could comprehend the affection I shared for my two conflicting loves, David and Harry.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 152 comments.


on Feb. 23 2016 at 8:26 pm
Swim4Him24 SILVER, Clover, South Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9

I totally love this piece and the love triangle book idea, it's awesome!!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
on Feb. 26 2015 at 8:56 am
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan
43 articles 10 photos 523 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is absolutely wonderful - congrats on the publication!

on Feb. 10 2015 at 3:11 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other
43 articles 2 photos 581 comments

Favorite Quote:
God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

ah, good writing!

on Nov. 28 2012 at 9:25 pm
Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 369 comments

Favorite Quote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

This is a good story. I have many connections with book so this is totally relatable.Is it true?

on Sep. 17 2012 at 6:26 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Ugh. You spoiled the series for me, I hate that. I love Harry Potter and I plan on finishing the series some day. Haha, I'm kind of kidding, then again I am upset I read that part about the ending. Anyway! I loved how I clicked on this article to read a story about romance and a freshly broken summer heart. I realized it was going to be about her love for the two book characters when she said her every footstep was screaming Harry's name. Loved it with a passion! Great job!

on Sep. 17 2012 at 3:42 am
BlueSunset BRONZE, Barcelona, Other
3 articles 0 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- Dr. Seuss

I absolutely adore your work! It was so cleverly written and you used good descriptive vocabulary. You are very very talented! More articles like this please! p.s. I love Harry Potter too haha ;)

on Jun. 2 2012 at 6:01 am
sunshine04 BRONZE, Vindhyanagar, Other
1 article 3 photos 253 comments
i lovedd it so amazing how u described the love affair 

on May. 31 2012 at 8:30 am
speedyboats BRONZE, Owensboro, Kentucky
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

This is SUCH AN AMAZING STORY. :D I LOVE HARRY POTTERRRR. <3 

Volley_Girl said...
on May. 30 2012 at 6:55 pm
Volley_Girl, Fayetteville, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
~ Philippians 4:13

LOVE the Harry Potter books....... my friends don't understand that urge to stay up all night reading a book either. I do it all the time though :)

on May. 30 2012 at 7:53 am
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

I love Harry Potter. This whole piece is amazing! Loved this!!

on Apr. 16 2012 at 4:12 pm
thelittleghostgirl BRONZE, Flagstaff, Arizona
1 article 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love"
~Albus Dumbledore (J.K. Rowling)

Oops. Hit "reply" instead of "new comment" sorry 'bout that...

on Apr. 16 2012 at 4:11 pm
thelittleghostgirl BRONZE, Flagstaff, Arizona
1 article 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love"
~Albus Dumbledore (J.K. Rowling)

My God you could be my twin... I. Relate. *happily looks over at my beloved copy of A Tale of Two Cities and my equally beloved Harry Potter books*

Lindsey31 GOLD said...
on Apr. 16 2012 at 3:50 pm
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota
11 articles 11 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

I LOVE Harry Potter and can totally relate to that part of the article! Nice job!

on Apr. 16 2012 at 2:37 pm
Liberty-May GOLD, Surrey, Other
11 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
the pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with

wow- i love it and i can totally relate to it! really good job

on Apr. 16 2012 at 8:00 am
This is pretty much awesome.
The way you express books as people...I can totally relate.
Great work. :D

on Mar. 3 2012 at 1:08 am
speedyboats BRONZE, Owensboro, Kentucky
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

This is so amazing (: I can totally relate. I LOVE reading and almost all my friends don't. 

Keep on writing please!


on Feb. 10 2012 at 9:21 pm
Bandana56 BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 13 comments
really good job, a couple times i forgot for a sec that you were talking about books and not guys, thats how good it was!!!

Caravana GOLD said...
on Feb. 10 2012 at 1:46 pm
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri
11 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

This was so good I loved the way you described it like a love affair. You took something simple and expanded on it so well making it your own. loved it :)

on Feb. 10 2012 at 9:24 am
Miranda_K. BRONZE, Donora, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am only one, but still I am one; I cannot do everything but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do something I can do.







~ Edward E. Hale

It was creative and diffrent. i loved every word, it was an unexpected story with a pleasently deciving title. Keep it up ^-^

on Dec. 28 2011 at 10:48 pm
unsimplysara BRONZE, Burbank, California
1 article 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." --Psalm 37:4

Your writing was amazing!I loved it :)