Is Minecraft Good for Kids?

I love Minecraft, who doesn’t? I know, people who say it is life wasted on a block game. Minecraft has plenty of good and bad features that are all very important. These features will be discussed in this essay and we will determine whether Minecraft is a good way for children to spend their time.

Minecraft brings creativity into minds of kids (Komando). There are over 150 different blocks in the game that can be used to build whatever you want there is no limit ("Minecraft ID List (PC/Mac 1.12)"). You can build a village, a town, a city, maps for other players to play on and whatever your mind desires!   It also gives you survival skills you need to build shelter or monsters will kill you, you need to get food whether it is from animals or by farming, and you trade with villagers who can give you items normally in exchange for emeralds, which is another source of food if no animals are nearby and you are far away from your farm.

Players can easily make friends online with servers, the most trusted servers are called Mineplex, Lifeboat and Inpvp. These servers are partnered with Mojang (A company bought by Microsoft) therefore, they’ll be the safest and most fun servers on Minecraft (James).

Minecraft bedrock also now has a built-in chat filter to stop people from swearing and even the titles of worlds are now censored if inappropriate ("Minecraft - BANNED SEEDS? And How To Use Them").

Many schools have also adopted Minecraft for lessons in the UK known as PSE/PSHE or in the US known as Social Studies. Back in November 2016, Minecraft created a new edition of the game for schools and education called Minecraft: Education Edition. This edition of the game adds downloadable lessons and NPC’s (Non-player character) which have been coded by the creators of the lesson and they can give you tasks to do ("What Is Minecraft | Minecraft: Education Edition"). A Headmistress of a school called St. Mary’s College says, “Minecraft gives us an opportunity to engage more with our students” (Lindsay).

An update came out for the Education Edition where they added something called CODE BUILDER, which teaches students to code with blocks a bit like Scratch ("Code Builder, Command Blocks, And More Come To Education Edition | Minecraft: Education Edition"). Blocks of code are the type of programming most programmers start with and they move up to typing code after a few years.

Unlike many other games, Minecraft is a very kid friendly game it isn’t “violent” apart from defending yourself from monsters and attacking players which isn't even realistic. The combat system excludes blood, guns and other things considered violent such as realistic pain (Komando). If you don’t want your kid to play servers on the bedrock edition of the game you can disable their access to servers in the XBOX live privacy settings (Microsoft Support).            

There have been many good points for Minecraft so far but like anything it also has disadvantages. Minecraft like any game is addictive and people do waste a lot of time on Minecraft that they could be using to study. Earlier the chat filter was spoken about however, it’s possible to bypass the filter but depending what you are playing it can be dealt with quickly and sometimes not dealt with at all. Also, People can build inappropriate things which is a lot harder to deal with. Another problem is people say whatever they want on the internet because they’re less likely to get in trouble (Phobia).                      

Lastly, a survey was sent to different people and some said that Minecraft is good for kids, but when people become twelve it gets boring. Some people say that it is bad for kids because it can be addictive, which is one negative effect of all video games. Here is a quote from a Mineplex Moderator in response to the question Do you think Minecraft is good for kids? “Yes! it’s a virtual canvas for young and old creative minds “("Do You Think Playing Minecraft Is Good For Kids?").

In conclusion, it depends on a few things. If you are a kid who's resistant to addiction, you’re young and you are willing to use Minecraft for good things then it is a good game for you. However, if you are very easily addicted to games and don’t intend to use Minecraft for sensible purposes it is not the game for you.

Works Cited:

Works cited
"Code Builder, Command Blocks, And More Come To Education Edition | Minecraft: Education   Edition." Minecraft: Education Edition. N.p., 2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.

"Do You Think Playing Minecraft Is Good For Kids?." Google Docs. N.p., 2017. Web. 19 Oct.   2017.

Jame, Ford. "Mojang To Partner Up With Popular Minecraft Servers." Gamereactor UK. N.p.,   2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.

Komando, Kim. "5 Things Minecraft Teaches Kids (And A Bad Thing, Too) | One Page." 
TheKim Komando Show. N.p., 2017. Web. 19 Oct. 2017.

Lindsay, Marie. "What Is Minecraft | Minecraft: Education Edition." Minecraft: Education

Microsoft Support. N.p., 2017. Web. 19 Oct. 2017.

"Minecraft - BANNED SEEDS? And How To Use Them." YouTube. N.p., 2017. Web. 19 Oct.   2017.

"Minecraft ID List (PC/Mac 1.12)." DigMinecraft. N.p., 2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.

Phobia, Dolphin. "Minecraft IS BAD FOR KIDS?." YouTube. N.p., 2017. Web. 19 Oct.   2017.

"Profile - Mineplex." Mineplex. Web. 19 Oct. 2017.

"What Is Minecraft | Minecraft: Education Edition." Minecraft: Education Edition. Web. 18 Oct.   2017.Edition. N.p., 2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.