Why Did the Civil War Happen?

Roger k. Broxton was wrong in the statements that he made about why the civil war was fought. Broxton claimed that Lincoln himself stated the war was over taxes, not slavery. He claims that the reason South Carolina seceded was because of taxes. He also said that Ft. Sumter was a “federal tax collection” fort. I will prove all these points made by Roger Broxton wrong.

In President Lincoln’s war proclamation he said,” with a view to the same purposes before mentioned and to the protection of the public peace and the lives and property of quiet and orderly citizens pursuing their lawful occupations until Congress shall have assembled and deliberated on the said unlawful proceedings or until the same shall have ceased, have further deemed it advisable to set on foot a blockade of the ports within the States aforesaid, in pursuance of the laws of the United States and of the law of nations in such case provided.” He clearly states that in order to keep the loyal citizens safe, he would conduct a blockade. This outrightly proves Broxton’s claim wrong.

Broxton said that South Carolina seceded from the union because of taxes. In South Carolina’s official secession document they state,”The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union”. So, not only did Mr. Broxton get the date wrong, he was also entirely wrong about the reason South Carolina seceded.

Fort Sumter was the first battle of the civil war. The Confederacy fired the first shot that was a shell that exploded above the fort. Roger stated that the confederacy was only acting in defense of the “federal tax collection” fort. “The fort had been constructed for coastal defense following the War of 1812, a conflict which saw the city of Washington burned and Baltimore shelled by a British fleet” (Morrill Tariff the… 1). After that, the fort was pretty much abandoned until the commander of the Charleston garrison moved his troops there due to the spread of the secessionists’ cause.

In conclusion, the civil war was not, in fact, caused by taxation. Mr. Broxton’s claims of Fort Sumter being a “federal tax collection”, President Lincoln himself saying the war was for taxes, and the claim he made about South Carolina’s secession, are all wrong. I have provided adequate evidence from credible sources that proves them wrong. The civil war was fought to set every African-American free of the bonds of slavery.