To Dear Drugs

By , New Delhi , India

'A Wolf in a sheep's clothing' lay snuggled on the topmost shelf of her dresser. Soft, transparent powdery substances wrapped in bits of silk. I try coming towards you, but somehow, I shrink back in fear. For, you 'O' drugs, are ever so petrifying!

In a way, you're also very intriguing. You help my sister forget about her day-to-day tensions. You've pushed her into this bottomless abyss of darkness. 'O' drugs! I do admire the intensity and faith of your friendship. In fact,  you've never let my sister feel the slightest bit lonely. Like a protective mother you drag her away from the realities of the world. You're everything. You're a comforting father. You place a hand over your daughter's tired eyes to help her sleep. You're a loving mother. You're a caring friend as well. A kind, caring friend.

Really????

You take your friend into the darkness. Yet, after a while, the darkness gets very nauseating. I don't know why, but when I think of you as a friend, all my praises and murmurs of approbation crumple to dust. It's because you've led my sister into this abyss of darkness. Her cheeks are tear stained and dirty as she struggles to clamber out. Weren't you supposed to help her out?

What sort of friend are you supposed to be, 'O' drugs?

What sort of friend are you supposed to be?

Yours,

Praniti