What Matters- Family | Teen Ink

What Matters- Family

By Hannah Faccio BRONZE, Belmont, Michigan
Hannah Faccio BRONZE, Belmont, Michigan

Have you or a family member ever had a near death experience?
Well, my Dad has. In the winter of 2007, on a Tuesday morning, there was a heavy snow the night before and the roads were very slippery. The road my Dad takes to work everyday is curvy, and on that day, was very icy. While going around a curve, a patch of ice snuck up on him. His jeep hit some ice and slid across the on coming lane causing him to slide into the ditch, backwards. He hit a tree and a tree branch went right through the back window causing it to shatter. Pieces of glass went flying throughout the Jeep.
It happened about 8:30 in the morning and fortunately for my dad, a co-worker had been driving behind him. The co-worker stopped and checked to see if my dad was ok, and then offered him a ride to work. After he arrived at work, my dad called the insurance agent to report the accident. He then called a tow truck to transfer his jeep to the Jeep dealership. Lastly, he called my mom and let her know what had happened. She was very concerned about his safety.
After school my mom told me about the crash and that his only injury was a scratch on his arm that didn't even require stitches. In all, the crash caused $6,000 in damage. Jeeps tend to tip over very easily, and luckily my dad's didn't. If it had he could have been injured more severely.
My dad left that crash with nothing but a scratch. Now that's pretty amazing to me. My family drove to the location of my dad's accident. There were broken limbs and scars on the trees. It looked as if the accident should have caused way more injury than it did. That's when I realized I could have lost my dad that day. I thought about how lucky I really was. I knew that it wasn't just a coincidence that he lived, but a miracle.