The Farm | Teen Ink

The Farm

January 19, 2017
By LexiLovesCows BRONZE, Winooski, Vermont
LexiLovesCows BRONZE, Winooski, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was little I would always drive by the dairy farm located on Mallets Bay Ave and I would always ask my mom, “Mommy, are those cows nice?” she would always tell me that she didn’t know and that someday I would find out.  She was right, it was the year of 2013 when I first stepped foot into the dairy barn.  I was with my best friend Erika.  If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have been able to find what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.  That summer was probably the best summer I’ve ever had, it was the kickstart to a new beginning.  I never thought I wanted to be a dairy farmer until I started going to the Thibault farm.  They have been apart of my life since I was little and I can not be more grateful.  When I first stepped foot into the barn I was instantly in love with everything.  The cows, the smell, the way everything was set up, everything.  I had slept over that night and I even woke up at 5 o'clock in the morning to see all of the cows being milked and at that time I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.  It still is, but that’s because now in 2016 I do it for a living right now.  When I had first started going to the farm I was not really allowed to do anything, I wasn’t allowed to do calf chores, milk, or even go in the barn when no one is in there.  I maybe could fill up the sawdust cart, but that is the most boring part of it all.  I remember asking Pepere if I could go into the barn and he had told me no because there was no one in there, and if anyone knows me I hate being told no.  But since my Pepere is my favorite person in my life I didn’t care I just waited for chores to start to go in there.  Since it was summer, I never thought hay season would be my favorite time of the year.  Which means I get to ride in the tractor all the time for countless hours.  Since that summer of 2013 to now in 2016 I have spent countless hours in the tractor and I finally this past summer I was able to drive the tractor by myself without having any trouble.  But before then, all I did was want to ride in the tractor with anyone I got the chance with whether it was Alex, Norm or Pepere I would go everywhere with them for hours and not get bored.  It has always been something I started and I still do it until this day, but now since I actually work in the barn I would have to go back and start chores and go back out after they are over.  We usually have 4-5 wagons to unload depending which field and which crop it is.  Since I spent so much time in the tractor, they have finally let me go and do it by myself, usually Pepere or Alex mows, Emily and I ted and rake the field so Norm and Jeff can bale.  I ride with Norm every time he bales because it is my favorite part of the whole process and I know he’ll never say no when I ask him to go.  Summer 2016 on the farm was by far the best one ever, there is so many more to come.  I thank them everyday for everything they have ever taught me.  Here’s to a new chapter in my life.