Break-Up Reality | Teen Ink

Break-Up Reality

By DayneHanson BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
DayneHanson BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

"if you can't find anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror, look a little closer, stare a little longer, because there's something inside you that made you keep going despite everyone telling you to quit." - Shane Koyczan

The realities of a break up, insignificant or an important one, are harsh no matter what. People think break ups aren’t such a bad thing: you become open once again to more options, different people, and different experiences. The reality of it is not like that at all.

Losing someone you care about, or love, can be one of the hardest things that can ever happen to you. This situation can vary, depending on who you are losing, but for most people. It will hurt. You have invested all of your time into one person, your feelings, and effort. Just for it to all go to waste. Say this could be your wife/ husband that you’re losing, years, and years of delving deep with emotions, and then divorce comes along, then the whole world comes crashing down on you. You have to decide what to give and keep, who gets the house, etc. This doesn’t even include custody over kids if kids are in the picture.

What you’re going to feel emotionally is almost indescribable, just like eating something you have never had before, and you try to describe the taste to something you have had before. You will feel as if a part of you has been ripped out of you. Like half of you is missing. You will start to over think everything, constantly wondering what you did wrong. What you could’ve done to avoid the break up in the first place. But you can never come up with an answer except “this is my fault entirely, I could’ve fixed this. I hate myself.” You want to just lie in bed all day and reminisce of all the good memories you two have had together, such as going on your first date, having your first kiss, maybe even just hanging out for the first time. Those memories are going to come flooding back to you.

But this is not how it will be forever, after a while, things will start to have purpose again, you’ll be motivated to go out and find new people. You are finally finished the detoxification on the world’s most deadly drug, Love. But getting “out” of love doesn’t mean you want to jump back in it. Love is scary to you now; you think that you might get hurt again. Your mind constantly flows with thoughts. But rest assured, Love and Hate are beasts, and the one that grows, is the one you feed.

So feed Love, give it that one more shot, you never know, you could find the one for you. The one that makes you feel like nothing else matters but the present, the current relationship you have with them. If you don’t try, how are you going to know? Good luck with love let it be beneficial to you, not detrimental.