Blue This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She's five. Her brown hair hangs in ringlets, and she has a wide smile. She looks a lot like my sister. In the hours I've spent with her at the hospital, she has never complained. There is so much she has never seen and will never see.

How do you explain colors to a person who lives life without them? She's never seen the sun or the blue sky reflecting the blue of open sea. She's never experienced colors. How do I give them to her?

Blue feels like morning dew on a crisp spring day. Blue can smell sharp like the first frost in winter, although sometimes it is the scent of fresh rain on a cool summer day. Blue tastes like lemonade, sweet with touches of bitterness. Blue sounds like waves crashing over jagged rocks or trickling down into a stream. Blue is soothing, elegant. It is the antithesis of anger, though it doesn't lack passion. Blue feels cold and smooth like marble. Somehow it's fresh and crisp, sweet and sometimes bitter.

How do I explain colors?

I guide her to the open window. Raindrops fall into her outstretched hand. After a moment, she smiles.

“Blue,” I tell her. “This is blue.”

SMWells said...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 10:00 am
This was lovily. I realy injoyed it. I shall ad it to my favorites.

CMapes said...
This is beautiful. You describe colors perfectly. That girl is lucky to have met you.

Lisa W. replied...
Her name is Julie. And I feel I'm far more lucky to have met her.
Thanks!

SwordGirl said...
This is AMAZING. You captured the feelings perfectly.

Lisa W. replied...
Thanks! xDD This piece really means a lot.

grace2719 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i LOVE this!!! your description of blue is perfect :o)

Lisa W. replied...
THANK YOU =) that means a lot!

monniefish said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 1:30 am
Wow. This is awsomely amazingly too good to put into words good.

Lisa W. replied...
Aw, thanks so much! That's so sweet.

wingedgirl4eva said...
One word: wow.

Lisa W. replied...
Haha, thanks! You're too kind.