I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio
AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio

The good thing about bad days is they only last 24 hours. <3

I truly believe that everyone should feel better about who they are. No one has the right to judge you because you are perfect just the way you are. I don’t have the perfect body type. I’m not the thinnest and I don’t look like the people in the magazines; then I realized that not even the people in the magazines, look like the people in the magazines. There is a saying that sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never harm me. It’s not true. I am human and words hurt just as much as physical pain, if not more. I truly believe in self acceptance of the body and I want to start to live it.
I know we are only human and we make mistakes. However, that doesn’t make harsh words hurt any less. It should not matter to me what others think, but when I walk down the halls and I see people pointing and laughing, it hurts. Why can’t people be nice? Bullying doesn’t make any sense and people should not bully. Why do bullies want to make others feel this way? Bullies should think before they say something that they will regret. They should ask themselves, is it kind, necessary, and true? Making fun of someone is very dangerous and it can cause eating disorders. It is sad but no one really knows what one mean word could cause someone else to do.
    I believe people should be judged on their personality not their body. Nobody's perfect. We all have flaws but that is what makes us unique and special. Why don’t I have the guts to speak up and stop bullying? I don’t understand why we are living in a world where it is okay to put people down because of their bodies. Sometimes on the internet, I see ads to get a thin waist. It enrages me. Is selling weight loss pills really worth a child's confidence?
   Everybody is beautiful and it may be difficult to believe, but every person is unique and amazing. Not everyone is going to be able to see the beauty that a person has on the inside and that is so wrong.  Beauty starts on the inside and oozes to the outside. Unfortunately, society sets us up to feel bad about our bodies. For example, in the song, Pretty Hurts, this is the message and it is so sad. Why can’t people see me for me, not just my body. Are people saying that I have to starve myself to be loved or to have friends? If that’s the case, screw popularity, and let me be the overweight loner in the back of the room. Have you ever looked in the mirror and just cried? I have and I want to overcome my tears. I know I am beautiful on the inside and on the outside. That’s all that matters to me and that’s all that should matter to you. Believe in yourself and don’t let anyone change how you feel about yourself. I believe in self acceptance of the body and I hope you can accept yourself too.

I have gone through bullying and all I can say is it made me stronger.