How to Find Your Inner Sunflower | Teen Ink

How to Find Your Inner Sunflower

February 3, 2009
By TheCodeHero BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
TheCodeHero BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write here, write now.


People have bad days all the time. Something doesn't go right at work, at school, or they just wake up on the wrong side of the bed'those are all reasons. Usually, people can pull themselves out of this pretty fast. Sometimes, though, they can't, and instead of having one or two bad days, all of their days are bad. They're in a depression'and what's more, they don't know how to break out of it. The answer is actually simpler than they could imagine. It doesn't take therapy or special pills to be a happier person and to get out of depression; it just takes a little bit of searching. Searching for and finding your inner sunflower is the best way to become a happier person.

The first step to finding your inner sunflower is to, like the flower, turn your head to the sun, or good things in your life. Sunflowers get their name because of their special ability to turn and get better sunlight when there isn't enough. To follow suit, you can start by making a list of all the good things in your life. By doing this, you're turning your head to the 'sun' in your life, and not focusing in on the nasty things that tend to take hold during depression.

The second step to finding your inner sunflower is to broaden your horizons. Sunflowers have, traditionally, had many uses. There's sunflower seeds and sunflower oil, but sunflowers were also used to make paint, as a building material, and even to make medicine. By broadening your horizons and doing some unexpected things like the sunflower, you can learn new things and find something that makes you happy. This could be in the form of taking a new class at a local Recreation Center, visiting an unfamiliar place, or trying a new food.

The third step to finding your inner sunflower is to be environmentally friendly. Sunflower oil is one of the cleanest burning bio-diesels, which is good for an engine of a car as well as the environment. Hydroponically grown sunflowers (sunflowers grown floating over water) were used to help the environment, too. With their extensive root systems, they were used by the former Soviet Union to reach down and extract toxic metals from the waters of Chernobyl, the sight of a nuclear power plant meltdown. By helping the environment like sunflowers do, you can feel like you're doing something good and helpful when you may feel useless.

The fourth and final way to find your inner sunflower is to make those around you feel better. Flowers are often brought to a patient's hospital room. The sight of flowers is thought to reduce stress levels, improve pain resistance, and just altogether make people happy. By making people around you feel better, you're acting like a sunflower, and can also improve the way you think of yourself.
To find happiness and pull yourself out of sadness, you need to find your inner sunflower. Turn your head to the good things in life, broaden your horizons, be environmentally friendly, and make the people around you feel better.