A Family in Prison This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

lucky duck said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:15 am:
Good job with this story. IT was well writen and very discriptive. keep on wrighting.

tiedyeelaine123 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:15 am:
It's sad to hear what you were put through at such a young age.

PolkaDotz said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:15 am:
This is a very sad story, about how a dad is acused that he murdered someone, and a girl that has to love without him. I feel sorry like everyone else because of that. If I was her, I would feel sad too.

rebelstrong34 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:14 am:
I am sorry. You have some serious writing talent. My favorite stanza was when you were describing all your families feelings.

akatheshizz said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:14 am:
Your story was amazing, words can't even describe. I'm sorry for your loss.

Kresint50401 said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 10:57 am:
You know it's good writing when you get the chills like I just did... Great job!

Macx14 said...
Oh my Gosh, I am so sorry. My biggest consolations and the comment that you are very brave to share it with us. You are, by the way, a fabulous writer.

darkangel09 said...
i'm so sorry about your father. i hope everything works out. good luck!

animalgirl said...
oh wow, that is so sad! i am so sorry that happened! i wish you the best!

theatercamper1212 said...
I am so sorry about your family. I hope he is freed sooner than you think. Great Job on the story and keep writing.

HaleyHottie said...
Are you positive he didnt commit the murder? 

Aspiringauhor replied...
Jan. 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm :
Um, I mean no harm, but this person is going through so much right now. You really have no right to be asking that question. Would you want someone to ask that to you about your dad? I know I wouldn't.

mimirocks124 said...
my condolences to u & ur family. so presonal. great job. i hope he's freed

twilightfan101 said...
amazing story. i am so sorry. i hope everything will work out for you and your family. great job.

GemValley250 said...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 11:23 am:
I feel so sorry for your Dad and the rest of your family. That is truely awful. Not the piece, the piece is brillant. What your family has to go through, that's what's awful.:(

jumpingbug13 said...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 7:08 am:
thats really sad

Gabriella.MM said...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:41 am:
im so sorry

Macx14 said...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 6:50 am:
The legal system is far from perfect. People go in all the time that shouldn't and people get let go all the time that should go in. I'm sorry and great job. Very well written.

CindyAguilar said...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:43 am:
thats sad. My dad's to nice to do anything.

lovetowriteandwatchTV said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm:
Wow, you really captured your feelings. I'm so, so, so, sorry about your father. I hope it all works out in 2023.