Cold Goals | Teen Ink

Cold Goals

By Juliet_Rose SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Juliet_Rose SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When I was younger and not a hundred-some pounds, I would attach my dog to a sled and have her pull me around the yard. It was the best winter activity ever until I got bigger and my dog grew old. But that lead me to thinking that one of my goals in life, is to be a musher. My reasoning is simple, I love dogs, I have fun sledding, and I watch the John Beargrease take-off.
I absolutely adore dogs. Their looks, ability, and mechanics are absolutely stunning. It’s amazing at what they can do and how they do it. Which is why I love to learn about them. Mostly I like to research their behaviors but I really enjoy anything about them. All this research has helped me gain so much knowledge about them that has actually come in handy. So I think that dogs are one of the best things in the world, and why not? They can be great companions and even do a little work as well.
Another thing I truly enjoy is sledding. The wind on my face and the occasional puff of powdery snow is something to never be forgotten. Finding somewhere to sled is really easy for me seeing how I live on a hill. I also know some of the best sledding spots in Cannon Falls. Honestly I like the hill by the CCC, sadly it takes a while to get back up. And with any type of sledding, you’re going to need a sled. Plastic sleds work best for me but everyone has different preferences. Some of the saucer-like sleds I really hate. They are a lot harder to steer. Loving both dogs and sleds can have a great combination though..... I wonder what?
A final reason as to why I love dog-sledding is due to the fact that I have seen the John Beargrease race. The John Beargrease race is located in Duluth, Minnesota, and watching the mushers take off is the best part. I went before the race to  meet and talk to the racers and the dogs. Dogs were obviously huskies and malamutes but it was still fun to see them all. Along with meeting the dogs and people, I got to help attach the harnesses to the dogs and sleds. Needless to say, it was the best weekend ever.
Even though my dog is old and all, she still really enjoys the winter. Just not pulling me around on a sled. But despite that fact, it doesn’t stop me from not having fun in winter or sledding. And liking dogs, sleds, and races makes it pretty clear that one of my goals is to be a musher.