Are All Zoos Cruel To Animals | Teen Ink

Are All Zoos Cruel To Animals

January 27, 2015
By Juliet_Rose SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Juliet_Rose SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many people think zoos are central hotspots for animal cruelty. Yes, there are poor standard zoos out there but I must remind you that there is an immense amount of good zoos as well. In the past there’d also been many problems where the animals were kept in small, unclean, and dreadful conditions but we have gained more knowledge and are slowly making progress growing out of these “dark ages.” This brings me to my point that not all zoos are bad. Most of them provide a home for endangered or injured animals, helps decrease the list of endangered species, and create an amazing learning environment.
Nowadays, zoos are trying to bring in more rescue animals rather than running into the wilderness and grabbing whatever critter that runs in their path. They have saved thousands of animals that had been hurt or captured by poachers, natural disasters, and illnesses. Good zoos will also be sure that the animal’s travels will be comfortable and they have good employees who know how to approach and interact with them appropriately. When the animal arrives at the zoo, they are slowly introduced to the environment and are given immediate healthcare. Rescuing these guys also help reduce the endangered species list.
Countless of species have gone extinct. But luckily this list is shrinking, not by much but it’s still shrinking. According to the Endangered Species Act, or ESA, we have successfully brought back the Bald Eagle, the Florida Panther, the Gray Wolf, the Peregrine Falcon, the Grizzly Bear, and the Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers to more natural numbers. Most of these were saved because zoos, sanctuaries, and animal reservations had worked together for breeding programs. This also served as a great educational opportunity.


Research in zoology has advanced to such a level where it benefits the animal’s well-being and the educational eligibility in zoos. Exhibits are designed in such a way where animals still have space, privacy, food, water, and care as well as us people having the ability to learn about their environment, habitat, and behavior. These modified exhibits resemble the environment the animal would live in, like having rocks and hills for a cougar to climb on or leaves and branches for an iguana to hide under. It’s imperative for the animal to make an almost identical environment to survive and it is also beneficial for people to learn about them for a better understanding of our planet.
Of course there are bad zoos out there, but there are also good ones. In time we will advance our knowledge like we have in the past and have a better understanding of our environment. And check out a zoo, see what you think is wrong, or right and ask questions! Ask the zookeepers why, or what, or how. Gain knowledge. Learn more. It is for the better!