A Six-Letter Word | Teen Ink

A Six-Letter Word

December 24, 2014
By Anonymous

Family. It’s just a six letter word; but to me, it is a word full of emotion and meaning. From the moment I was born, my parents showered me with love and affection, and I can’t ask for anything better than that. My brother has also been there for me, despite the fact that we quarrel like two aggressive lawyers going at each other at court. Inside our small home, are the sounds of my mom’s laughter, of my dad continuously flipping the channel on the T.V., of me rehearsing on the piano, of a pot sizzling as my brother tries his hand at cooking.


I love spending time with my family. Hiking up Mt. Washington, going on a road trip to Las Vegas, camping in Virginia, and playing volleyball in the mud are some of the greatest and most unforgettable memories I have made with them. Being around family makes me feel so worry free and genuinely happy.


As I grow older, the definition of family continues to change. The definition of the word family, in the dictionary, is a group of people related by blood. When I was living in the Philippines, this definition was true. I was always surrounded by immediate relatives; every day, someone was always dropping by around the house, even just for a quick greeting. Now here in the U.S., most of my cousins and relatives are in different states. However, I have found a family in people that are not related to me by blood, like my best friend and her family, who I consider as the extension of my family. They are now the ones I see every day.


I have also learned that one can have different types of families. My volleyball team and my lacrosse team are two groups of people I consider as family because during each season, they are the ones that I am around constantly, that I rely on to give support, that give a helping hand when needed. I like to think that my classmates are another type of family. They help me on both school work and homework and explain concepts that seem foreign to me, like different slang words. They can even make me laugh when I am having one of those days where it seems like every lousy thing that could happen, is happening.


Everything starts off with the support from my parents and brother. They are the ones who encourage me to meet new people, who drive me to all my games and practices, who provoke me into trying new things. They have taught me to always be there for family, that family comes first. A parent’s job is to give unconditional support and love to their children, nothing less. It is what helps them grow and as cliché as it sounds, “broaden their horizons.” From school, to sports, to home, I know that I am not alone, that there is someone there. Without my family, and my “extended families”, I don’t know where I would be. I am truly blessed.