Letter to a Soldier | Teen Ink

Letter to a Soldier

By cjcarver BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
cjcarver BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine

This isn't about going back. Its about life being in front of you and you run at it. You'll never know how far you can go unless you run. -Penny Chenery Tweedy

September, 24th 2014

Dear Leon,    
Well time is starting to move by a lot quicker here. Nana, Aunt Kikki, Aunt Tammy, Jessa, Ashley, Bethanie, Dad, Popa, Marcus, and Andrew have booked their tickets to your graduation. I’m so sorry that I won’t be able to make it. Now that the school has changed classes from having double periods on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday every day you have every class. No more double periods anymore it’s all singles. 

Before you know it all of it will be over. Just keeping hanging in there. You have done so well so fare and I know you will be at the front when it is all said in done with. School this year is good. Mrs. Church made me editor of this year’s yearbook. Sweet Jesus. The soccer team is doing well this year. Have a lot of wins and very few losses. Volleyball couldn’t win a game if their lives depended on it poor things.  I can tell yah Ducky is really missing you. Maybe when you get home and we make a trip down, you should wear your uniform and you may get L22. 

Mr Kelley has sent you some letters. He sent one just the other day, but he has said that he has sent one to you a while ago. I told him you must have not got it yet. Uncle Bubba finally got his new boat. It’s almost done, just waiting on the inspector to come down today and to a check to get it put on the insurance. 

I really don’t know what to do with myself. Things are changing so fast, but I know that I have to keep up with them. Nana calls me almost every day now if I don’t see her in my travels. I know she knows it won’t be much longer and all her grandbabies will be gone. After all these years though, it seems like nana and popa have improved on their relationship a lot lately. They’re going places with each other again. They have ordered out to Franks for supper a few times for the two of them. Things are changing at home. Definitely for the better I think.
When you get home Hing is an absolute MUST. I will have to take you to this place in Ellsworth that I tried once that is absolutely amazing. It’s called Finns. Right down on Main Street. Best food I have had in a long time. We will have to make a day of it. Just go early in the morning and not get home to the crack of dawn the next day. Well it’s not like we haven’t pulled that stunt before. Since you left there’s no one around. Rose is gone, Paiden is gone, and Marcus doesn’t even know where he is half of the time. It will be nice when your home for that week and a half. 

I think of the words that repeated in your oath. They still ring in my head. I can proudly say you are the future of this country, and you got the honor you wanted when you stepped into that room to take your oath. Knowing how few people actually take that oath. You received that honor that minute. You have made us so proud of you. I can promise you that Lizzie is looking down on you with a smile on her face. She can run around and say that that is my Brother. That Marine is my brother. We have been just as thick as thieves all our lives and that is not about to change. You are my Best Friend, my cousin, and most of all My Brother. I love you to the moon and back. I am so proud of you and can’t wait to see you when you get home. These are the words I leave with you…

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job --
The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.